4.5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Colours for multiple pie charts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The sample report AdWords Overview Report has three pie charts for device breakdown.  They have inconsistent segment colours due the the data being ranked by size.  For example, selecting a date range of 13th to 16th February has Computer as red on chart 1, blue on chart 2 and yellow on chart 3, which renders the charts meaningless in a dashboard context.

I have used the pie chart approach on my own draft report, which is when I discovered the issue, and can find no way to correcting this problem.

Question: why use the pie charts on a sample report when they have this fatal flaw?

Feature request: the ability to link charts into a 'chart group' so that they shares a consistent colour legend

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Forthglade R
November

Re: Colours for multiple pie charts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

An October product release included the following changes:

• You can now choose how to color the dimension data in your reports:
    • Color by order colors the data according to its position in the chart. E.g., the first series is always blue.
    • Color by dimension value lets you define the colors to use for each value in your charts. E.g., "France" is always represented in blue. Coloring by dimension values ensures that your data uses color consistently, regardless of the position of that data in the chart. This is now the default behavior for new reports.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You should be able to go into the style menu and manually change the colors of each of the slices so they match. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes you should.  But if you do that, and then the next day the values change, the colours will go out of sync again.

Having to manually adjust the colours every time you change the date selection is not ideal

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Have the same problem. Anyone have a solution to this? Or is there any plan to intro the ability to create a pair (or more) of pie charts which has the same dimension against multiple metrics and have the same colour for the same dimension across the charts?

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same issue here! I would very much appreciate a fix (or workaround) for this.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Have any of you found a solution work-around for this issue? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I completely agree.  We presented a series of pie charts on feature breakdown by session vs. users.  Our senior executives were very disappointed that the colors don't match.  As a visualization tool, we expect colors to match across pie charts in the same dashboard.  Please fix this issue.  It would be greatly appreciated since I have already convinced my company to by limited G-Suite licenses to share our Dashboard.  I cannot justify rolling this dashboard out beyond a pilot until the colors from multiple pie charts on the same page can match each other.  At the very least, use automatic color creation but allow it to be done based on the alphabetical order of the labels.  If you are a Google Representative, please reply with an ETA on when you will have this fixed. We are a big user of your products and have bought premium licenses for G-Suite and Google Analytics 360. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Forthglade R
November

Re: Colours for multiple pie charts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

An October product release included the following changes:

• You can now choose how to color the dimension data in your reports:
    • Color by order colors the data according to its position in the chart. E.g., the first series is always blue.
    • Color by dimension value lets you define the colors to use for each value in your charts. E.g., "France" is always represented in blue. Coloring by dimension values ensures that your data uses color consistently, regardless of the position of that data in the chart. This is now the default behavior for new reports.