Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Colors across Time Series Charts

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello there

I have added three Time Series Charts on the same page, showing different metrics for the same set of AdWords campaigns.

But the colors differ between the charts, so that the campaigns have different colors on each chart. I use Theme colors.

Is there anyway to have the charts use the same colors for the same campaigns across charts, without changing them manually?

Data is imported directly from AdWords.

Hope someone can help Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anton H
December 2016

Re: Colors across Time Series Charts

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah I think the only solution right now is changing the charts manually.  Even with a manual change, however, the dimensions could still change colors over time as your budgets change or your performance across campaigns changes.  Have you considered combining the metrics into a single chart that is segmented only by date?  With this model, you could just add a filter widget for campaign and let the user select the campaign(s) they are interested in seeing the performance for.  You also wouldn't have to worry about color consistency anymore.

Here's an example of how I usually do this:

screenshot-datastudio.google.com 2016-12-01 09-58-10.png

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

If you can sort by the campaign names alphabetically instead of by metric, then you sort of force the campaigns to always show up in the same order which should force them to use the same colors. If sorting by the dimension is not an option, you might be stuck until the devs add more style options...or you may have to change the charts manually. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you for your reply. Sorting alphabetically isn't really an option in this case. I've added a screencap of my problem.

Yesterday I tried to just shift the colors manually across the charts, and today whne I refreshed the data, the colors changed back. I've noticed that this is only a problem when I want to display CTR, if I change the same chart to ex. Cost, the colors are correct. Which seems strange.

Screencap-Advertisercommunity.PNG

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anton H
December 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah I think the only solution right now is changing the charts manually.  Even with a manual change, however, the dimensions could still change colors over time as your budgets change or your performance across campaigns changes.  Have you considered combining the metrics into a single chart that is segmented only by date?  With this model, you could just add a filter widget for campaign and let the user select the campaign(s) they are interested in seeing the performance for.  You also wouldn't have to worry about color consistency anymore.

Here's an example of how I usually do this:

screenshot-datastudio.google.com 2016-12-01 09-58-10.png

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes thank you!

That solves all my problems!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Anton,

great to see that these workarounds solved your problems.
We have faced similar problems while creating reporting dashboards for our customers with special filters. But the coloring of the diagrams got messed up because the relative size of dimensions differ for all our customers.

So we have created a feature request for datastudio which might also solve your problems in a way that is more straight forward than sorting the colors manually.

I would love to see some upvotes on the request because IMHO this feature is a very basic functionality for a product like datastudio.

Kind regards

Julian