Data Studio
2K members online now
2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Changing from a .eu domain to .com. What effect will this have on Google rankings?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I hope I have posted this to the right board.

I currently have a wordpress site using a .eu domain. I have purchased a .com domain and want to swap and use this as my primary domain and setup a new redirect from the .eu to .com. My GA account is set up with the .eu domain. My question is what emplications will this have on my google rankings? Do I need to set up a new GA account? Can I transfer my GA ranking to the new domain? What steps do I need to take to ensure I don't lose my rankings?

Any advice is appriciated.

Lianna

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Changing from a .eu domain to .com. What effect will this have on Google rankings?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
Use of Google Analytics, has no baring on your site indexing and ranking.

In the interest of consistency, what I would do is keep tracking everything in the same GA Account/Property. Make sure to update the website details on the Property Setting page and all View Setting pages to reflect the change to .eg from .com
And add an annotation in GA to the date the change was made, with an explanation of the change.

If you have questions in relation to SEO re tankings etc, best place to ask is the Google Webmaster Help Forum
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

Thanks
Bronwyn
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Changing from a .eu domain to .com. What effect will this have on Google rankings?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This isn't really the place for SEO, but I'll chime in. Assuming that is all your doing (no redesign or re-platform) and you're redirecting .eu to .com 1 to 1, page by page, then the only issue you'll probably have to consider is each redirect will come w/ an approx ~15% loss in authority.