2.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Changing data source on one dashboard changes data source on another

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

As the title says, I have two separate reports and when I change data source on one, the other gets changed.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

What do you mean when you say "change data source"? If you mean that you're changing the data in the Google Sheets report that feeds DS, then yes it should be updating.

But if you mean that you have two reports linking to the same dataset, but you change one to a different dataset, then no that definitely shouldn't happen that the second changes on its own. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

When do you said "2 reports", do you mean 2 reports in data studio or 2 pages in the same report ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Two different, separate reports.  One is a copy of the other, but I've done this dozens of times since I'll make one dashboard and use it across several data sources.  Dashboard A does not have multiple data sources in the report. For example:

Dashboard A Data Source A

Dashboard A Data Source B

Dashboard A Data Source C . . .

This method has been working fine until yesterday when I did:

Dashboard A Data Source D

Now, "Dashboard A Data Source D" will make "Dashboard A Data Source A" change to Data Source D and vice versa.  It didn't affect B and C.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Yeah, that's very strange and shouldn't be happening. I frequently make copies of my reports, but I don't think I've changed the datasource, just applied different filters to the same datasource. Are you datasets entirely different? Or are you using different properties of the same GA account? I ask because if you are using different properties and you have one property that's got all the data in it, you might consider using that property as the dataset for all your reports and then applying filters to the actual charts within the report.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Bear with me, I'm only pretending to know what I'm talking about!

All the data sources are, as you said, different properties of the same GA account.  I know there's another dashboard where I use the primary account with a filter to get what I need so I'll just do that with these dashboards and see what happens.  Still confuses me why it's only on these two data sources and not the others.  

Thanks for your comment!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've got the same issue. I've copied some Analytics reports but when i'm changing the data source to one report, it affects all others. How can i disable it? 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I´m having this issue too, but within the reports. Changing a chart's data source sometimes changes charts on other pages within the report to change as well. It is quite frustrating. It feels like Data Studio really is in beta still.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm experiencing this issue as well. I have two separate Google Data Studio reports. Changing the data source on one report changes the data source on the other. Just as others here have done, I've made a copy of my original Data Studio report to create the 2nd report. I suppose technically both reports are using the same data source (Google Analytics), however they're accessing Google Analytics accounts for different websites. Therefore, I suppose the data source isn't changing, the analytics account within that data source is changing.

For troubleshooting purposes, I created a new blank report (I didn't duplicate an existing report) and used a 3rd Google Analytics website data source. This didn't seem to update the data source on the other reports. Perhaps the issue is tied to making copies of reports?

Lastly, I've also experienced what Diego R reports - changing the data source on one chart of a report will also change the data source on other charts within the same report.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am also having this issue. Exactly as Cheryl B has described.