AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2K members online now
2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Change style of chart with date comparison

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I am trying to solve, how to change the style of series in chart with date comparison (eg, last year). I need to change the colors of lines, but the Data Studion in case of date comparison has just one #serie. So I can edit just the main color of chart and other is automaticaly calculated. Other inappropriate thing is that line from last year overlaps line with actual data. 

data-studio.png

Did anybody solve this? 

Thanks

Radim

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

If you set up the dimensions with month as the time dimension and year as the breakdown dimension, there will be two line series that show up in the style menu and you can change the colors. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Litmon, 

thanks for reply, but I need dimension date in comparison with previous year, I have tried to apply your recommendation, but I doesn't work for me. I am not sure if I understand properly. Thanks 

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a screenshot, but can't seem to post it (can't copy and paste and there's no upload button). How did you post your screenshot?

Re: Change style of chart with date comparison

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Litmon, 

you can choose full reply editor and then choose photos from upper menu

reply.png

I will be happy for your advice!

Thx

Radim

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Screenshot.JPG

The way I have it set up, there's the date in the data source section, then the month and year in the dimension section. This makes it so that the months run across and then the lines show year over year trends. 

Thanks,

Raina

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Raina, 

thanks for reply, I have just maybe silly question, how did you add "Date range dimension" under the data sources? Thanks

Radim

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I just went back and looked and this is rather strange...this report is feeding from a Google Sheets doc, and it automatically shows up. But if I switch it to Google Analytics, then it disappears. I wonder if it would work if you went into the edit menu and created new dimensions that are just month and year (rather than month of year), and then add those to the time dimension and breakdown dimension section? I'm wondering if the GA feed doesn't list date as a data source since GA is inherently date-based?

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hi Litmon,

You are correct. Data Studio automatically supplies the date range dimension for GA-based data sources. 

For more information, please check out Work with dates and times in the Help Center.

Hope this helps!

Rick

@Litmon wrote:

I just went back and looked and this is rather strange...this report is feeding from a Google Sheets doc, and it automatically shows up. But if I switch it to Google Analytics, then it disappears. I wonder if it would work if you went into the edit menu and created new dimensions that are just month and year (rather than month of year), and then add those to the time dimension and breakdown dimension section? I'm wondering if the GA feed doesn't list date as a data source since GA is inherently date-based?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick, 

thanks for clarification. If I understand right, If I need to change style of second serie in date comparison from ga, I have to process data in spreadsheet or other database tool and then import as new source? 

Thanks

Radim