AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Can't move or resize anything

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm new to data studio and trying to create a first report.  I inserted a table and wanted to adjust the dimensions somewhat.  However I cannot adjust the dimensions or move anything I put on the dashboard.  In every screenshot or example I have seen, it says you should be able to turn on the edit toggle in the top right corner and all the moving/resizing should work.  But I don't have a toggle like that, even though I created the report myself...  Please help! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Try using Google Chrome browser

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The problem persists even with Chrome browser

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Is the google account you're using in data studio the same one that has admin rights in your data source (google sheets, analytics, etc)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same problem here. I just started using Data Studio today and after resizing a table, it created a duplicate leaving the original table in the same size and orientation underlying a newly created table.  I deleted the new table only to be left with the original table and now I can't edit the size or positioning. Pretty frustrating first impression. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I did find that making a copy of the report got rid of the problem, but that doesn't seem to be the best solution going forward especially if I have already shared this report view with others. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm going to throw out a kind of dumb answer so I apologize in advance but are you by any chance in "View" mode instead of "Edit"? They look extremely similar and can often be confused.

The other time I've had similar issues is when there is another layer that interferes with the selection. In those cases I just move it temporarily off the other layer or bring it to the front.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you using a wacom tablet or stylus? Try testing with a normal mouse. If it works go into your wacom settings and add chrome to the list of applications with custom stylus settings. Sometimes web applications don't detect drag and drop when using a pen. This was my issue.

Re: Can't move or resize anything

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Capture.PNGI am having same issue here. In edit mode but can't change size/drag any of the existing charts. It does show the arrow for resizing when the chart is selected. But it is not allowing change.

I am using IE browser for some reason not logging out the gmail I am using on Chrome. But that shouldn't be a problem which browser we use for data studio, google team!

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi Yan,

Sorry you are having problems. 

Can you edit your report as expected on Chrome, but not on IE? Or does it not work properly on either? (How were you able to add the chart and change the colors?)

What operating system are you using?

Can you try disabling all your IE add-ons, then try editing the report again?

Hope this helps!

Rick