5.8K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Can't connect Google Sheets to Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm unable to connect a Google Sheet to Data Studio.

I've followed the tutorials down to a T, but the problem is Data Studio doesn't even recognize that I have any Google Sheets. So I have to launch Google Drive to select, and no matter which sheet I pick the selection remains grayed out, as does the "Connect" button. Anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Re: Can't connect Google Sheets to Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bryan,

We have been experiencing the same issue here. Is the account you are using part of a GSuite Work domain, or is it a personal account?

Have you found a solve? It looks like one of our users can get it to work in their personal account, but not in their Google work account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Chris,

The accounts we were having issues with were part of a GSuite Work account, yes. And it seems or IT department was able to correct this. They said it had something to do with an Android authorization key? I don't really get it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using a personal account but have the same problem. My sheets show up on the connection interface greyed out. They are set to be viewed by anyone with a link.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same issue as Mark T. on my personal account ! Still no fix ?

I couldn't find one of my sheets and then i did "star" it, then i could see it in my Stared files. Really strange. I tried for another file that i uploaded, but still couldn't see it, even if i stared it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I had the same issue when i uploaded a .xls sheet to Google Drive and then tried to connect to it in Datastudio. However, the problem was solved after I open the file with Google Sheets. It seems that files need to be in "Google Sheets" format. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just had this exact issue. The problem for me was that I had just created the sheet. I could find it when I selected the "OPEN FROM GOOGLE DRIVE" option, but it wouldn't show the worksheets for me to select. When I selected "ALL ITEMS" it wouldn't show up. 

MY SOLUTION: I closed the tab and re-opened Data Studio. Once I did that I could now select the new file and connect. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Data Studio generally does not recognize new Sheets until after some indeterminate time. Usually they will show up within 30 minutes or so, however. At least once I have also come into a situation where the Sheet is visible, but Data Studio still refuses to connect properly to it - if I remember correctly, it looked as if the Sheets had no tabs. After a while, which may or may not be due to me trying to connect to other sheets in the meantime, or just because Data Studio had catched up with analyzing the new Sheet, I managed to proceed.

Maybe this is due to Data Studio analyzing available Sheets in the background before showing them, but having this as the only way to connect to a new Sheet is very user-unfriendly since you waste your time and your adrenaline on getting this to work, instead of doing something useful with your data.

Re: Can't connect Google Sheets to Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It seems our problem was different though, as this was neither a new source or new report. It had been working fine for weeks then poof, one day this problem happened.

We were able to work around it a few days later by just pretending like we were connecting a new source and using the same sheet without any changes to it. That for some reason fixed it and allowed us to get access to the options it had removed.
———
Bryan M. Vance
Digital Producer, OPB
Twitter: @BryanMVance
O: 503-293-1968 | C: 614-204-0773

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Any news on this, I am having the same issue as mention in your answer but nothing works.