AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Can I pull text from a Google sheet?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We generate a narrative for reports in Google sheets using automated insights which I'd like to pull through into Google Data Studio dashboards.

It doesn't look like I can just pick a cell from Google Sheets but is there a way I could format the sheet to allow text to be pulled through into a dashboard?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Not at the moment.

As of now you still need to pull dimension/value pairs at the strict minimum.
One very ugly trick would be to use a table and hide a "fake value" cell value (restrict column width, change value with bar).
This however does not allow for long text since dimensions cannot be text-wrapped.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Julian, yes I did think about creating a related value but thought I'd check to see if there was a more elegant way of doing it.

You say "not at the moment", do you think this is something that's likely to be added at some point?

Mike

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I do have some insight into the product roadmap but I'm under NDA so I'll let Googlers here comment on that.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julien, is there any update on adding text from GSheets to DS?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've managed to do this now, pulling cells into a Dashboard.

Cheers,

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Single cells of text? Please explain!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just added a panel and included a cell range I think.  It was a while ago now and the project is finished but it definitely worked as the project was reliant on it.

It wasn't single cells, but they only had text in them which hadn't worked previously.  I have another project coming up that will require this so once I've refreshed my memory I'll add details.