Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign timeout

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have the campaign timeout set as 6 months. I would like to know what could happen when the campaign timeout is reduced to 3 months and the site is visited from the browser that already have a cookie with campaign timeout set as 6 months. Will the cookie expiry time get changed to 3 months or will it still have the campaign timeout as 6 months.

Thanks in advance.

Bala

1 Expert replyverified_user

Campaign timeout

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I think it will change to 3 months

Campaign timeout

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi, Bala V,

That would actually make for a fun experiment. You could set the timeout to something like 5 minutes, then engage your campaign, and then set the timeout to 2 minutes (or something along those lines - you know, just long enough so that you get results fast without having to wait months). I think you'd be able to try this out and report back here even. Smiley Very Happy

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Campaign timeout

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Bala,

If you're using Universal Analytics and not the legacy 'gaq' versions, campaign timeout and sessionization isn't in the cookie anymore- it happens during processing.

It would be an interesting experiment but I believe in your case when the user comes back after you change the setting (let's say after 4 months), the campaign would be expired. So if they come directly, it would show up as direct and not fall back on the previous referral/campaign.

Campaign timeout

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 2gether, i have the same or nearly the same problem/question: I will i turn down the campaign time-out tracking from 6 months to 30 minutes. Is this affected on actually campaign tags? For example when a user is coming over "organic", i turn down on the next day form 6 months to 30 minutes and on the next day the user comes back again - is the session "direct" oder "organic"? 

I know that its just about the cookie-timing but what is happening with "old" cookies? Will it retrieved with the new campaign tracking settings?

Thx 4 the help!