Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Calculated Metrics - Segmentation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Since I've started using the application, Data Studio has proven to be a powerful visualization tool. However one feature that seems to be missing from Data Studio, pertains to the calculated fields functionality. 

One important metric for us to track is page to page conversion, (Page A -> Page B). 

Google Analytics allows me to create a "Sequence" segment, so I can segment on users that reach Page B from Page A. However, in order to calc this into a conversion metric, I'll need to divide this user cohort by the total number of Page A users.

Not looking for GA's Funnel Beta as a solution, ideally we'd want this % to live as a metric, so that we can look at a daily trended view of how specific page-page conversions perform. 

Does anyone know of any workarounds for calculating two uniquely segmented user groups into a %? 

Thanks in advance! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same exact question. Any answer is welcome Smiley Very Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My problem is very similar, I need to calculate the conversion rate, which would be between sales pages / orders (GA goal). However, I have an aggravation: the sales pages are a segment.

Have you tried using CASE WHEN to determine which page the user needs to pass etc?
By the little that I understood, case when can be used equal to the condition or sequence of GA segments.

I also accept any help Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was able to find a workaround solution. 

Supermetrics is a Google Sheets add-on that allows you to create different users groups, based on a segments. It pipes in data from GA automatically, and puts it into excel format. From there, i'm able to create my own conversion metric, trended daily, benchmarked against previous period metrics. Also allows scheduling to allow automated outgoing emails to endpoint users. Only problem is that it doesn't have the nice filter controls that Data Studio provides. Not sure what the pricing was but it was around $50 a month.

It also seems like Google is investing development resources into making Data Studio a better standalone tool for analytics, i'm hoping they'll allow this and scheduling in future releases. Hope it helps. 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Patrick,

So in the end, you did not manage to do it in DataStudio? But using a different platform... Too bad.

I am having the same issue: want to create a simple scorecard that shows a % = "engaged" visits (segment) / all visits. But I have not yet figured if it is possible or not.

Any help would be welcome.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same issue here! Can create a scorecard with the segmented sessions, but can't use two of these to create a new metric. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I put in a feature request awhile ago, but they appear to have switched systems for how they collect those request, so I had to put in a new request last month. 

Here is my feature request - https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/72320745

I see people talking about creating funnel visualizations and it makes no sense to me to make that request when all you need is the ability to divide 2 scorecards by each other & then you can create the funnel visualization with graphics & scorecards placed over it. 

Data studio is awesome, but this missing functionality is causing me to have a very close relationship with my calculator & I hate that thing

I shared my thoughts here as well - https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Data-Studio/thread-id/...

Praying for a solution!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

One way of doing this is to create a table with pages as dimension and unique page views as metric. 

You can then click the edit icon next to the metric and select show as “Percent of total”. 

This will show the percent of users that visited each page. 

Another way way to do this would be to create cinversion goals or events in analytics with the key page views you are interested in monitoring. You would then have metrics for each that you could use in formulas.