1.5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Calculated Field for Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to do a simple calculated field in Data Studio with Google Analytics data, as simple as [Sessions] * 7, to help show a monetization of organic traffic (no admin access to GA for the client, so hitting roadblocks with goals and calculated metrics there).

Once I create this calculated field, I cannot find it in the Metrics when building a chart, and when I refresh the dashboard (browser window, not data), the Calculated Field has disappeared from the data source.

Any thoughts? Does Data Studio just not allow this with Google Analytics data?

Thanks in advance.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Some initial ideas of things to check:

- Double check that the calculated field is a metric. It should show blue in your data source.

- Make sure the click the Create Field button when editing the data source, sometimes clicking Enter doesn't work.

- Check if someone else has access to that data source. If you're using the same data source in multiple reports, if a calculated field is deleted in one report, it will disappear form the other.

- It could just be a glitch, try and create it again. If that still doesn't work, disconnect and reconnect the data source.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response. None of these have fixed the issue. I'll keep digging.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It happened to us too (while 2 people collaborated on the same Google Data Studio report).

The reason was one of us had Edit access to the report but not to the Data Source. Whoever created the data source can find this Data Source in their Google Drive under My Drive. It looks just like a GDS report.

Hope this helps.