Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Calculated Date field - increment by 1 year

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am trying to display two scorecards with data under a single date control where one displays the selected date range and the second displays the previous year date range. I thought maybe I can create a fake data set for the second one where it's the same data only all the dates are shifted ahead by a year. Will this work? And if so, I can't figure out how to create the fake data set where the Date dimension is actually date + 1 year.

My data source is a GA set. I've tried renaming Date to date-old and then creating a calculated field named Date but can't figure out how to add a year to date-old. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

What's your ultimate goal with this data? Do you want to see how much it's changed since last year? If that's the case, you only need one scorecard and then select the "compare to last year" option in the default date range selection. 

I'm confusing about the fake dataset part of your question. You can apply any date range you want to a scorecard, so if you want to see total values of both years, you just need to apply the date range to one and the same date range in the previous year to the other. To get around having to update the two date ranges, you can use the compare to previous year option mentioned above and use a page filter for the date (instead of having to go into the chart to update the dates). 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The compare to previous year only gives either % change or absolute change. It doesn't show the previous years' value. Yes, currently it's the only way I know how is to have two separate date ranges on the scorecards to display the actual values (not relative changes). But if I know it will always be the case that we want to see the actual values compared to the same time period a year ago then it's a bit annoying to have to update 2 date range tools. It would be nice to be able to display the values (not the change) from the previous year during the same period without having to change two date range tools when knowledge of what the first one is informs you 100% of what the second one should be. So I was trying to figure out a workaround for that.