Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Calculate duration from Sheets

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I'm very new to GDS and I can't seem to figure out an issue with Duration.  I am using a Google Sheet where I have a column that includes duration information (e.g. 00:17:20).  I'm hoping to create a scorecard that provides an average, mix, and max of the duration's in that column.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm not new to GDS and I've had trouble with this too. I tested out pulling in the duration as a total number of seconds and then converting it into a time format in GDS because I had trouble getting the time format in Sheets to read properly in GDS. I think I eventually just gave up on it. If anyone has an easy solution, I'm all ears.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Derek,

I think your best bet would be to take the duration field in your Google Sheet and turn it to a standard number representing seconds.  Then, you can use the Numeric > Duration (sec.) type when setting up your Data Studio datasource for that field.  Data Studio will then automatically format it back into the normal hh:mm:ss whenever it is actually used in the report.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In theory, this seems like it should work.  For some reason, regardless of what format I use, Data Studio will return it as "null" or "00:00:000"

Oh well...thanks for the suggestions!