AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

CASE WHEN Limitation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

So I am using CASE WHEN to create a calculated field that doesn't exist in the data export.  Essentially a "Category" field for my courses.  The formula and subsequent reporting was working perfectly and then when I added the next string of courses, I get a "parsing" error.  Does anyone know if there is a character or statement limit for the CASE WHEN function.  Below is the function text that is now giving me the error (I deleted the last string of courses as a test, and the formula worked).

CASE WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(course_title, "(Veteran 101: DoD Overview|15 Things Veterans Want You to Know|Veteran 201: Veterans ( IVMF )|Veteran 201: Veterans|Veteran 201: Timeline of Current Wars ( IVMF )|Veteran 201: Timeline of Current Wars|Veteran 201: Profession vs. Occupation ( IVMF )|Veteran 201: Profession vs. Occupation|Veteran 201: Military Lingo and Discharges|Veteran 201: Military Families|Veteran 101: Service Branch Overview|Veteran 101: Officer vs. Enlisted|Veteran 101: Military Laws and Regulations|Veteran 101: Military Culture|Veteran 101: DoD Overview|Invisible Wounds of War Overview)") THEN "Military Culture" WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(course_title, "(15 Things Veterans Want You to Know for Healthcare Providers|Academic Reasonable Accommodations|Barriers to Treatment|Connecting with the VA|Evidence-based Treatments|Deployment Cycle Effects|Inner Conflict and Survivor's Guilt|Intimacy and Emotional Disconnect in Military Populations|Intimacy Issues with Military and Veteran Connected Couples|Intimate Partner Violence|Military Sexual Trauma|Military Women|Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)|Substance Use in the Military Veteran Populations|Suicide in the Military|The Brain and Combat Stress|The Cost of Caring|Traumatic Brain Injury)") THEN "Healthcare" WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(course_title, "(ABC's of Respite for Caregivers|Choosing Your Words|Coaching a Loved One Into Care|Creating a Space for You|Focusing on the Forgotten...Me!|Good Grief|Goodbye to Going It Alone|How to be a Mental Healthcare Advocate|How to Connect with a Checked Out Veteran|Invisible Wounds of War at Home: Depression|Invisible Wounds of War at Home: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)|Invisible Wounds of War at Home: Substance Use Disorder|Invisible Wounds of War at Home: Traumatic Brain Injury|Invisible Wounds of War at Home: What Are Invisible Wounds?|Leaning In: Investing in a Challenging Relationship|Mantram|Stepping Into Stillness: Maintaining Your Center of Gravity When Caring for a Veteran Loved One|Understanding the VA for Caregivers)" THEN "Caregivers" WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(course_title, "(Advanced De-escalation Technique for Volunteers|Communication Skills with Veterans|Helping Others Hold On|How to Interact with Assistance Animals|How to Talk to Someone with a Disability|Recreational Volunteer Opportunities with Disabled Veterans|Setting Boundaries as a Volunteer|Supporting a Surviving Loved One|Supporting Someone with Invisible Wounds|Trauma Informed Interactions with Veterans)") THEN "Volunteer" ELSE "Course" END

CASE WHEN Limitation

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

my own experience is better to do the calculation at the source level if possible. I like to think of GDS as a visualization tool only. 

CASE WHEN Limitation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just ran into this issue. I have 327 cases and got the "Number of conditions in CASE exceeds limit" error message. Any way around this? Wondering if I can do the translation somewhere else? I'm essentially translation a dimension that's a random value into a branch name