2.4K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Building and Refreshing Reports Very Slow

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Having issues the past week with Data Studio slowing down drastically. 

Refreshing reports now can take minutes rather than seconds to load with or without cache.

Often refreshing takes 3+ min per page and ending with a "failed to get data" or just continues to in refresh mode without changing at all. 

Also, even creating a new report and editing fields has become slow. An example, if I am setting up a new data source, and I change a field from "number" to "currency", when I click to adjust the field it takes 5-10 seconds for the type options to appear, then another 5 seconds after clicking an option like "currency" to then adjust. 

I've been able to confirm it's an issue with anyone looking at the reports, and I have very fast internet connection, so that's not the issue. I also tried making a new report, new data sources, new spreadsheets where the data sources link to, tried starting over from scratch, and tried limiting data - filters - and fields.

Nothing seems to make an improvement. Is this an issue for anyone else? Any tips or ideas on how to speed things up?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, we're seeing the same thing, and it's become progressively worse over the past week.  It's getting to the point where I am considering switching to another dashboarding tool such as Klipfolio.  Data Studio is a fantastic tool, but I can't sit here and wait 5 minutes for a report to load, and another 5 minutes every time I want to edit it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

same issue here. Refreshing, filtering, changing from one page to another takes an eternity and often results in the error 'The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.' I've only started using GDS this week so I don't know if this is a temporary issue or it's always been the case?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

is there any fix or acknowledgement of this issue from Google? Data Studio is completely unusable at the moment...

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Carrie,

I have noticed this too, I am not sure what is causing it but I do have a fix. Share the Data Studio report with another Google Account you control and then edit the report from there. Wait a couple of days and try going back to the original account and everything will work fast again. I don't think the cache on your side is the problem.

If you or your viewers are getting a failed report error then try this

1) Viewers cannot use IE
2) Viewers cannot have an ad blocker running
3) Make sure your Viewers has no firewall blocking (most common problem(

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I've had similar issues. I think it has to do with the amount of imported data (if making a report from scratch), or how much your change effects the overall report (when editing criteria). there is a cache but i'm pretty sure it gets cleared every 12 hours or so. Reducing the amount of charts and graphs helps substantially with reducing the loading time!

Good luck,

Collin