AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Bug report: Some date formats (still) do not work

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

More than one month ago, I reported that some date formats do not work, or at the very least, only works half-heartedly. In particular, many of the formats which are provided by Google Analytics are not recognized, even though Data Studio implies that it does. For instance, if you select "Month of year" as a time dimension in GA, you will get something like "201611" for November 2016; however, Data Studio is unable to infer that this IS a valid GA date format, and sets it to be text. If I then try to force it by selecting type "Date" and "Year Month (YYYYMM)", it will grumble that this format cannot be recognized, but then if I insists, it will go ahead and apparently interpret it correctly anyway. 

I noticed that in the last update a few weeks ago, some new date formats have been added, however I feel it is an unwise prioritization to add new features when existing features stil do not work correctly. I would think it to be a no-brainer that all GA formats should be supported without manual intervention and grumbling.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bug report: Some date formats (still) do not work

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Kjell -- thanks for the feedback.

As part of the time series improvements from a few weeks ago we also addressed the old semantics that were previously treated as strings. Using your example, pulling "Month of Year" into a Data Studio time series will show the labels correctly (see screenshot below).

To take advantage of all the new improvements you will need to create a new GA data source and use that to power your reports / time series. Can you give that a try and let me know if you are still having problems? I also see that you posted another thread about time series -- do you have problems with these as well when using a new data source?

Best.

Alon

test.jpeg