AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Bug report: Data Studio does not interpret "month" correctly in some cases

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a problem with the interpretation of Date format "Month" when data is coming from GA. If I have the dimension "Month of the year" in GA, I will get results such as "10" for October, "11" for November, etc.

However, when I get that data into Data Studio, it appears unable to handle this correctly in all cases, although it does not complain about the format (indeed, it recognizes the format as "Month (MM").

If I then look at the data as a table, I can also see that the data in some manner is understood to be "month", since it "translates" the month number to month names (January, February, etc). So far so good...

BUT, if then tries to look at these numbers in an area chart instead, only data for November is shown! Data Studio in some way appear to understand that there is data for the other months, since it displays them along the x-axle, but no data is shown.

However, in my data set, I also have the GA "Month of Year" as a field. As reported in another issue, THIS data is not understood by Data Studio, and it grumbles when I try to force the issue; however, if I persist, and then select that as the Dimension of the Area chart, now all the data comes up!

So, what gives? One data format APPEARS to be supported, but does not work; another APPEARS to NOT be supported, but DOES work.... I cannot understand why this issue still persists, months after complaints in the forums.

BTW, it also appear that the Area chart can only accept "Time" dimensions along the x-axle. That seems to me to be an arbitrary and not very helpful limitation. Likewise, the only line chart available is ALSO a "time series" type. Please give us a standard area- and line chart instead/side by side with time-constrained variants.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Bug report: Data Studio does not interpret "month" correctly in some cases

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Kjell -- per the other thread, I think there's a chance that you are seeing inconsistencies because you are using an older data source that was created before we updated time series semantics. Could you create a new GA data source and try the same scenarios?