Data Studio
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

BigQuery data prone to System Errors in Google Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

BigQuery scorecard and charts more often than not show 'System Errors' in a Data Studio Report.

 

Error Details "The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request."

 

Comparatively the same data in Google Sheets does not display errors.    

 

I would appreciate any advice on how these system errors can be resolve.

 

Thanks

 

 

 

 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: BigQuery data prone to System Errors in Google Data Studio

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the same issues but it is happening for all types of sources.

Re: BigQuery data prone to System Errors in Google Data Studio

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
I'd would help us diagnose this if you could file feedback using the feedback icon (upper right corner) when this situation occurs.

One possible explanation of scorecards failing to render intermittently is that the underlying query is expensive/slow and it reaches its timeout intermittently which can happen when the underlying data is very large.

Re: BigQuery data prone to System Errors in Google Data Studio

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
I have not been able to get data studio to recognize date columns from any Big Query data sources. BQ uses YYYY-MM-DD but data studio says date needs to be YYYYMMDD. I tried changing format in BQ but it did not work so I tried creating a new BQ table with date column as String instead of date and that did not work either. I also tried reformatting the date columns in the original data source files but still no luck. Any tips/fixes for this?

I also ran into the issue of column headers being applied to the wrong columns, as if they were displaced by 1 or 2 columns to the left. I think I was able to fix it by removing and re-adding the data source.

Re: BigQuery data prone to System Errors in Google Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am also facing similar issue. Frequent System errors. It seems like Data Studio is unable to load data, since if the report is able to show data, it continues to work without issue until I change the date filter (thus prompting a new query hit to big query). I am also unable to create any calculated fields due to the following error: Unable to Retrieve data. I have already provided Feedback few times on this issue.

Re: BigQuery data prone to System Errors in Google Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Getting the same error from time to time. You are saying that large data quantities can be the reason. What is considered very large in this case in your opinion?

Re: BigQuery data prone to System Errors in Google Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Not sure if it will work, but if this is still actual for you - I would try using the REPLACE text function to trim the '-' from your data that comes from BQ.
I.e. create a new custom metric that makes smth like following:
REPLACE (your_BQ_date_metric, '-','')
and define the Date (YYYYMMDD) type for the new metric
for more complex manipulation / re-formatting the REGEXP_REPLACE should work
see the details here: https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/table/6379764

BigQuery data prone to System Errors in Google Data Studio

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had the exact same issue. It has been fixed when I gave data studio access to my google account, Which happened by chance when trying to add an uploaded file as a data source in data studio (since BigQuery wasn't working...).

BigQuery data prone to System Errors in Google Data Studio

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I managed to solve a similar issue I had when tried to connect my MySQL database.

In my case I had a few fields that included special characters and spaces (just to make it easier to customize the fields later in datastudio).

Once I removed them the sync worked properly.