Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Bar chart Sort by Month not working

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I created a multidimensional bar chart with Month as a primary dimension, however, when I tried to sort (Ascending) by Month, it won't work. The Month always sort backwards (goes from March to January) not matter if I sort it by Ascending or Descending. I am pretty sure it is in the right Date format (MM). I noticed other people are experiencing the same issue. Is this a bug?

barchart sort by not working.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yang S
December

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

In order for Data Studio to sort month of year properly, the data needs to be in YYYYMM format and annotated it correctly as month of year for localizing the display name. i believe we have fixed the problem that was originally reported (we have a bug that closed in April that fix the original problem) it will be great if there is more information provided for the "me too"  comments so we can take a look and see if there is a real bug or a usability issue.

View solution in original post

Re: Bar chart Sort by Month not working

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm having the same issue -

Sorting by Month ascending works just fine if there is no second dimension. But the moment I add another dimension to show a stacking breakdown, the sorting order reverts back to Month descending and is stuck there.

Even when I re-choose Month ascending, the chart does not respect that choice:

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 1.49.15 PM.png

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same issue here. As soon as I add another dimension, the date just went haywire..

Capture1.PNG

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same problem here. It displays January after February

NPS Report - Google Chrome 2017-04-25 14.15.58.png

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Panayotis T, I think that may actually be something else, and I'm not sure it's technically an issue. Those month names are just arbitrary breakdown labels to Data Studio in this case, so it doesn't know that January is supposed to be left-most in that list of labels. It's probably sorting that order by something else in your data source, or in an entirely arbitrary way.

As for the original issue stated by @Yang S, I think this has actually been fixed. If you edit your chart that is sorted incorrectly and toggle the sorting options a few times to different choices, and then go back to "day/month, ascending" it should work!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did u guys try reconnecting the data source?

OR check ur data source's date format. This is a huge bug in data studio date matching thing. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Any updates on whether there is a solution for this? I'm experiencing the same problem.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also experiencing the same bug. This is a big one.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yang S
December

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

In order for Data Studio to sort month of year properly, the data needs to be in YYYYMM format and annotated it correctly as month of year for localizing the display name. i believe we have fixed the problem that was originally reported (we have a bug that closed in April that fix the original problem) it will be great if there is more information provided for the "me too"  comments so we can take a look and see if there is a real bug or a usability issue.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Reformatting to YYYY-MM format worked, thanks!