Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Bar Chart - Data sort order

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I have a data source in sheets where the first column is ordered according to my preference:

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 10.06.23.png

However, when I use the data in data studio, it orders it either Asc/Desc on either column.

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 10.13.04.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 10.10.30.pngIs there a way to switch off sorting, or to 'use data source ordering'?

Thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yeah, number your data in the source:

1 - UK 
2 - Channel Isl. 
... etc

then sort by Region A-Z. 

Re: Bar Chart - Data sort order

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thanks for your quick response.

I have tried that - maybe I'm doing something wrong, but you can only sort if it's a metric and if it's a metric you have to include it in the chart (which I don't want to do)

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 11.24.17.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 11.24.31.png

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hmmm, I can sort dimension - I did it here with Weekday: 

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 11.41.05.png

Maybe it's to do with how the data is defined. Region is a preset dimension, as it is able to populate heat maps/geo maps etc. 

Try renaming Region to Region sort, and instead of labelling the dimension as a region, label it as text. Smiley Happy 

Very long-winded solution, but will work in short term. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The funny thing is, if you have more than 10 results, numbering doesn´t quite work. It goes like this:

So, if you, like me, have dynamically numbered cells and appended that number to the beginning of the field value, you will feel so frustrated XD.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Guys, I think I have a similar problem, though the solutions proposed here do not seem to work. Can you help?

Basically I would like the bars in the below chart to be ordered 1 2 3 4 (so not ascending or descending order).

The numbers 1-4 represent agreement with a statement 1- Strongly Disagree .... 4 Strongly Agree

I tried different configuration with my field "Any change requests..." being a dimension and a metric, but cannot make it work.

There must be some easy way to make it work.

Any suggestions?

Data Studio - sorting.png

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Actually your solution works, adding SORT suffix to the dimension label.

So simple, but so hard to figure out... was it mentioned in any guide you went through I wonder?

Thank you!