AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Bar Chart - Data sort order

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I have a data source in sheets where the first column is ordered according to my preference:

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 10.06.23.png

However, when I use the data in data studio, it orders it either Asc/Desc on either column.

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 10.13.04.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 10.10.30.pngIs there a way to switch off sorting, or to 'use data source ordering'?

Thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yeah, number your data in the source:

1 - UK 
2 - Channel Isl. 
... etc

then sort by Region A-Z. 

Re: Bar Chart - Data sort order

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thanks for your quick response.

I have tried that - maybe I'm doing something wrong, but you can only sort if it's a metric and if it's a metric you have to include it in the chart (which I don't want to do)

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 11.24.17.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 11.24.31.png

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hmmm, I can sort dimension - I did it here with Weekday: 

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 11.41.05.png

Maybe it's to do with how the data is defined. Region is a preset dimension, as it is able to populate heat maps/geo maps etc. 

Try renaming Region to Region sort, and instead of labelling the dimension as a region, label it as text. Smiley Happy 

Very long-winded solution, but will work in short term. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The funny thing is, if you have more than 10 results, numbering doesn´t quite work. It goes like this:

So, if you, like me, have dynamically numbered cells and appended that number to the beginning of the field value, you will feel so frustrated XD.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Guys, I think I have a similar problem, though the solutions proposed here do not seem to work. Can you help?

Basically I would like the bars in the below chart to be ordered 1 2 3 4 (so not ascending or descending order).

The numbers 1-4 represent agreement with a statement 1- Strongly Disagree .... 4 Strongly Agree

I tried different configuration with my field "Any change requests..." being a dimension and a metric, but cannot make it work.

There must be some easy way to make it work.

Any suggestions?

Data Studio - sorting.png

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Actually your solution works, adding SORT suffix to the dimension label.

So simple, but so hard to figure out... was it mentioned in any guide you went through I wonder?

Thank you!