AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

BUG - Custom Dimensions not available in filters since the April 13 update

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I used to be able create a filter on a custom dimension (from Google Analytics) and they still show up in the filters for previous reports. However, trying to reproduce those reports is impossible, as custom dimensions are not available anymore.  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Analytics Help Section says the following: 

"Custom dimensions cannot be deleted, but you can disable them. You should avoid trying to reuse custom dimensions. When you edit the name, scope, and value of a custom dimension, both the old and the new values can be paired with the either the old or the new dimension name. This conflates data in your reports in a way that cannot be accurately separated with a filter." Source: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en 

This suggests that you cannot apply a filter to a custom dimension. 

Let me know if this helps! 

Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, but it doesn't fix the bug. The issue is that I cannot select the custom dimension in filter options. All other dimensions are there, just not the ones we created ourselves. And they used to be there and I can also select them fine in Google Analytics

The work around for me is to duplicate old dashboards, where this dimension is already being used as a filter. 

It's just a silly and annoying bug and I hope it will be fixed soon.