AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Data Studio
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Average sessions per day

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I would like to create a score card which shows the average sessions per day.

I've tried to create a new metric with the following formula: Sessions/Day of the month

This gives me the error message: "An expression can have either metrics or dimensions, but not both."

Do you have any other ideas how I can create this score card?

Thank you in advance

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Felix H
April 2017

Average sessions per day

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Felix,

You are correct, at the moment this functionality isn't available. GA doesn't provide average previews per day as a metric and you can;t currently calculate due to no support for re-aggregating metrics.

To get this figure in to your report you'd have to calculate it externally - for example in a Google Sheet connected to the GA API - and feed this back in as a new data source. Another alternative would be calculating it in Google BigQuery, if this is an option for you.

Hope that helps,

Ben

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Felix H
April 2017

Average sessions per day

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Felix,

You are correct, at the moment this functionality isn't available. GA doesn't provide average previews per day as a metric and you can;t currently calculate due to no support for re-aggregating metrics.

To get this figure in to your report you'd have to calculate it externally - for example in a Google Sheet connected to the GA API - and feed this back in as a new data source. Another alternative would be calculating it in Google BigQuery, if this is an option for you.

Hope that helps,

Ben

Average sessions per day

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ben,

thanks for your reply. I think I'll try to use Google BigQuery for this purpose.

I always wanted to try this, but never had a good reason for doing so.

Best Regards,

Felix

Average sessions per day

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Excellent, you are very welcome Smiley Happy

Re: Average sessions per day

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Try to create a new metric that counts the dates eg

Count of Date = COUNT(Date)

Then create another metric for average sessions 

Sessions AVG = (Sessions / Count of Date)

Hope that helps

Average sessions per day

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

COUNT_DISTINCT(Date) maybe?

Average sessions per day

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hey, sorry... i'm new here. can you explain me a little bit more how can i make this in sheets from google analytics? i know create reports but i don't know this part.