3.6K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Auto Refresh - Google Data Studio

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I believe I am missing something with Google Studio Data.

I have made a dashboard for displaying on large TVs around our offices. However I cannot seem to get the data to refresh automatically, ideally every hour or so.

Surely this is a basic requirement. The system seems useless without auto refresh.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael C
May 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

oh yes, i understand what you mean. 

So no. When you are updating your spreadsheet, u need to go in the layout "manage data source" to reconnect your data source with the new update. 

An auto-refresh for data source as we have for data google analytics will be awesome Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Michael, 

Actually Data Studio don't support an "Auto refresh"

But each time that you open your report, data are refreshed. or you can still use the button on topbar to refresh ur data

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Seems crazy that they don't auto refresh. Also what you said isn't accurate if you are pulling data from a Google Sheet. In that case refreshing the browser does not pull the latest data. You need to manually "Refresh Data" in GDS.

Not great. This is a very basic thing.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael C
May 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

oh yes, i understand what you mean. 

So no. When you are updating your spreadsheet, u need to go in the layout "manage data source" to reconnect your data source with the new update. 

An auto-refresh for data source as we have for data google analytics will be awesome Smiley Very Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Re: Auto Refresh - Google Data Studio

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Michael,

I've created an extension for that that auto refresh the data and even paginate between pages..270 happy Data Studio users until now Smiley Happy

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/data-studio-auto-refresh/inkgahcdacjcejipadnndepfllmbgoag

You can mark this answer an Solved.

234234.png 

@Michael C - Please accept this answer as best answer for future readers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Michael, 

I can't get your plug in to work, every time I close down the browser or turn my computer off the plug in stops working. Should it be like this? I can't have my computer turned on every hour. 

Thanks!

/Kajsa

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Basim,

The plugin doesn't crash or shuts down. It simply needs to be activated after the browser is closed.

The next version will keep it alive even after computer shut down.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

When will this be available ?

I think refreshing like Michael pointed out is pretty much required out of the box for this product to be most useful.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve,

A new version of the extension rolls out as we speak, with that fix. it will keep the settings all the time until changed, even when Chrome is restarted.