Data Studio
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Any way to refresh a Data Source from Google Sheets without breaking charts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I'm experimenting with Reports as a Project Manager and work heavily in Google Sheets to track statuses, etc. Is there any way to refresh a Data Source from Google Sheets without breaking charts? For example, if I create a report from my Sheets but later on, some of the data is changed, new data is added, or some rows in the Sheet is deleted.

I found the "Refresh, reconnect, or reset a data source" help page [1], and the "Reset the data source connector block" refreshes the data, but it also breaks the charts in the connected report. "Refresh data source fields" & "Reconnect a data source" detected no changes when rows were deleted from the Sheet. I added a temporary column to Sheets so that it would detect a new Field, but it didn't update the data (it just added the new field to the Data Source.

Thanks in advance for your help!

[1] https://support.google.com/360suite/datastudio/answer/7083608

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You should be able to change all the data in sheets without Data Studio falling over. I regularly add 1000's cells of data with no dramas.

I'm not quite sure what you're doing in sheets, however, I wouldn't connect Data Studio to a Sheet you're playing around with. Data Studio is fragile enough without adding / removing columns etc. I always have another sheet with an importrange query and add only the columns I need in datastudio and keep it, ultimately as an untouched sheet.

Deleting Rows for example, does funny things in Sheets, which is not fed through to the 'clean' importrange sheet. Obviously, deleting columns and and ultimately fields is going to cause lots of issues.

Especially if you have multiple users editing sheets, you need a clean non-tampered sheet for Data Studio to report from.

Also, if you need to mess around with a sheet, tell users to duplicate it.