Data Studio
5K members online now
5K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Announcing the data control and other new features this week.

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Dear Data Studio fans!

This week, we've launched a really cool new feature: the Google Analytics data control.

The data control is similar to a drop-down filter control, but instead of letting viewers select dimension values to filter by, it gives them a way to select the Google Analytics data they want to see in a report.

This makes it easy for you to share reports based on Google Analytics with viewers who want to use that report with their own Analytics data. Using a data control eliminates the need to create separate reports and data sources for your various Google Analytics views.

Also in this week's release:

• Tables can now contain just dimensions or metrics. You no longer are required to have at least one dimension and one metric.
  • We've improved the Google CloudSQL connector:
    • Faster data connection
    • SSL support
    • You now connect via a CloudSQL instance name (no longer requires you to whitelist IP addresses).
  • We've improved the report editor:
    • All new charts and controls appear with a uniform size and style when you initially place them on the canvas. To see this, select a component from the toolbar or Insert menu. Then click the canvas to place the component. As always, you can resize the chart to any size. (You can still use the "click and draw" method to create new charts of any size.)
    • All new controls appear with a drop shadow, to help distinguish them from text and charts. You can turn the shadow off by editing the selected control's STYLE properties.

Finally, you may have noticed some changes to the Help Center if you happened to stop by. We've restructured the content to better align with how people use the product. We're also pruning out old content and revising the remaining articles to keep up with product changes and respond to user feedback. If you have input on anything you see in the Help Center, we encourage you to use the feedback buttons at the bottom of every article, or post a comment here on the forum.

Share and enjoy!

The Data Studio team

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Disappointed that the PostgreSQL Views bug, introduced inn the previous update, has not been fixed. Makes Studio near unusable with PostgreSQL. Do we know when it will be fixed? A user has found the bug and post the solution!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Rick, thank you for your work! 

Please pay attention for this problem. "No data" occurs in charts if filter control values  contais cyrillic symbols Smiley Sad so sad for non english users ;(

Re: Announcing the data control and other new features this week.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Victor, 

Sorry you're having trouble. Can you please describe what you're doing? 

I tried a simple test and Cyrillic characters seem to work fine in filters for me:

cyrillic filter.png

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Stuart,

Sorry this issue is still causing you problems. It seems there were some changes to the backend API used to talk to PostgreSQL and we're still working on the fix. I'll update this thread when there is progress to report.

Best regards,

Rick

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks, I guess the feature "Tables can now contain just dimensions or metrics. You no longer are required to have at least one dimension and one metric." was the most required one. I am surprised to see that the tool was built in the first place without this thinking.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Rick.
--
------------------------------
* Stuart Anderton*
Chief Information Officer

Email: *stuart@prezola.com*
Phone: *+44 (0)7717 437480*

Wedding Gift List Of The Year 2016 www.prezola.com

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rick! Thank you for your attention! My problem is related with "filter contol". Check the screenshots. The arrows mean filtering by company. I could share this report with you.

Рисунок1.jpg

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hi Victor,

I can't really see what's going on in those screenshots. Can you just give an example of the Cyrillic strings you are filtering on and how the filter is defined? (Have you tried removing those other filters so you can be sure it's not one of them that is causing the "No data" result?)

Best regards, 

Rick

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If I have company's names in Russian and English as entries in the field in Bigquery, filter doesnt  work. I see No data on charts Smiley Sad

When I remove all records with Russian names and remain all English names in my BQ table, filter works great! With same configuration, without any other changes :/ 

For example (Bigquery's table):

Using this one causing "No data" when  I filter any Company or some of them:

Row Company
1 null
2 AAR Pharma (Великобритания)
3 Abbott Products GmbH (Германия)
4 Abryl Formulations (Индия)
5 Acino-Pharma Start (Украина, Киев)
6 Adamed (Польша)
7 Adipharm (Болгария)
8 Aflofarm Farmacja Polska (Польша)
9 Agio Pharmaceuticals (Индия)

And this one works properly:

Row Company
1 null
2 AAR
3 Abbott
4 Abryl
5 Acino
6 Adamed
7 Adipharm
8 Aflofarm
9 Agio

Im sure that I use only one filter and I really have data in filtered condition.

confused