Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Announcing "link sharing with anyone"

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Dear Data Studio fans;

One of the most requested features on this forum has been the ability to share a Data Studio report with anyone, not just folks signed into a Google account. I'm happy to say that this is now possible: the link sharing option "Anyone with the link can view" will provide a link that is accessible to anyone, whether they are signed into Google or not.

get-shareable-link.pngShare the report, then click Get shareable linkget-shareable-link-2.pngYou can now share this link with anyone

You can try this yourself: 

1. Make sure the report you want to share has the data source credentials set to "Owner's Credentials."
  2. Share the report, and in the upper right of the sharing dialog, click Get shareable link.
  3. Open an Incognito Window in Chrome (or a private window in Firefox, Safari, etc.).
  4. Paste the URL in the location bar and press Enter.
  5. You should be able to view that report.

Non-signed in viewers cannot edit the report. 

Please keep in mind that link sharing with anyone truly means anyone: other people can pass your report URLs along in email, publish them on the web, post in social media, etc. Be sure the data you share is suitable for public consumption.

Thanks for your interest in Data Studio!

The Data Studio team

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Exciting news - thanks Rick!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks that's fantastic news, can we embed as an iframe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

cool, this is sound very good

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Great news!
How should this affect links within reports? I ask because when I go incognito to the first page of my report (the contents and glossary), clicking the links prompts you to sign in.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I want to know is there any functionality in GDS that i have designed a custom template and that can be copy by other user for their GA accounts data.
if possible then please shared me how this process goes on.

Thanks

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi Andrew,

Can you elaborate? What are the "contents" and "glossary" links pointing to? Are these links you placed on the report?

Rick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rick,

Until today I have not had an issue with clients getting access to Data Studio. This afternoon I ran into an issue though, one of my clients can get into the report, but they are unable to see any numbers. It gives an authorization error. I went back through and looked while I was logged in, and I could see it and made sure I gave them the "anyone with the link can view" link, which I did. So I logged out and used that link but was getting the same result: Authorization Error. Is there an internal issue right now or am I just missing something?

Thank you!

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

No, embedding is still not possible, sorry.

Re: Announcing "link sharing with anyone"

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Rick,

For reports I produce with multiple pages, I put in links to each page of the report on the first (contents) page, as I found that users have had issues finding/opening the navigation panel.

I was creating a file to demo this issue and seem to have found the reason behind the problem, the /edit was being included on the links.
So this issue seems reasonably easy to fix, I just need to edit the page links or gather them in viewer mode. However, users are randomly fired out of the report to https://datastudio.google.com/org//navigation/reporting when clicking on links, which is an issue I have yet to resolve as I cannot consistently replicate the problem.

Thanks again for the update! and also for responding to my query.
This change makes sharing far simpler, no more questions: "it's asking me to sign in?" Smiley Happy