2.9K members online now
Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Allow users to filter

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I have two landing pages that have the same content but slightly different URLs:

www.site.com/content-campaignA

www.site.com/content-campaignB

I'm creating a heat map of the activity to that page and I want to create one for the page that the user can then select whether they want to see the results of campaign A or B. I don't want to put a filter that lists all pages (unless there's a way to restrict a filter to list just those two) because it isn't user friendly. How can I give the user the ability to toggle between the two on the same page, rather than creating two separate pages?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Litmon
April 2017

Allow users to filter

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Litmon - You can actually create a filter within the filter controls that only displays the list of pages that you want to include. For instance after adding the filter control  you can add page contains regex pageA|pageB...etc.

Hope that helps.

Allow users to filter

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I swear I tried that once before and it didn't work, but it worked this time. Thanks!

Allow users to filter

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Ok, I'm back on the filter that I was using before where it's not working and it still isn't working. I'm filtering to include several sections of the website. But when I apply that filter within the filter, the filter includes an option "all others." I don't want this to show up because DS automatically checks it and I don't want my users to have to manually uncheck it every time. It's very odd that it does that. Any ideas?

Allow users to filter

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

My only suggestion here is that you create an "include only" type of filter that lists the options you want to be included in the filter and excludes everything else so you don't have to see the "all others" option. Also, filter controller have the flexibility to show up to top 10,000 rows. 

Allow users to filter

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for your suggestion...the problem is that I want to include maybe 10 sections, but there are several hundred available, so I can't realistically go through and exclude all of them...

Allow users to filter

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Ok, update. I didn't realize I was restricting how many I could view. So the filter is showing only the pages in my filter. But when I make it report level, it doesn't seem to be affecting any of my visualizations. They have the same numbers as if the filter wasn't there.