Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Adding a Data Source after the Viz has been Started

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

It seems like you can't do this. 

There's no option under Manage Data Sources for it anyway, which is where it seems like it should go. 

It seems like you can add some at the beginning, then take them out then add them back in.... but mid stream, it's not possible to just add one. 

I've checked documentation - is there some place else I can look? Anyone willing to share on this? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brigid G
June 2016

Re: Adding a Data Source after the Viz has been Started

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Sure! Just add a new chart to your report and use the data source picker to select a different data source. (The data source picker appears when you click the data source "chip" in the selected component's DATA properties.).

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hi Brigid,

Are you trying to change the data source for an existing chart? You can do that, but unless the new data source schema exactly matches the original, you'll probably have to redefine the dimensions and metrics.

To change the data source, click the current one and select the new one from the list of available (or you can create a new one on the fly).

HTH

Rick

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Rick!

To clarify, I want the current data source (Google. Analytics) to stay in place.
I want to add data source. Not change.
I understand the two may or may not go together using the exact metrics.
I might be able to add a graph to the side that shows weather or crime during the same time period.
Can I do that?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brigid G
June 2016

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Sure! Just add a new chart to your report and use the data source picker to select a different data source. (The data source picker appears when you click the data source "chip" in the selected component's DATA properties.).

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Got it, Thanks!!!