Ask questions about Data Studio
Guide Me
star_border

Acquisition metrics

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I've just started getting to grips with Data Studio - it's been on my list for a while!

I'm finding it really easy to use, but wanted to illustrate some of the Google Analytics Acquisition metrics (Direct, Organic, Referrals and Social) to show how these change month on month.

I can see, in the Metric Selector, Traffic Sources, but Organic Searches is the only option - and I noticed the number doesn't tally with the number I was expecting - when I look on GA.

Do I need to create Calculated Fields for these 'missing' metrics - or am I looking in the wrong place?

I assumed all the GA data would be available to report on in Data Studio but I realise this is in beta and it might not be all there yet.

many thanks

Acquisition metrics

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the specific Dimension and/or report you are looking at in the GA interface?

I'm assuming you want "Default Channel Grouping" but you can also pull "Source / Medium", "Source" and "Medium".  

Just depends what report you're looking at in GA directly.

Acquisition metrics

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm looking to report on the number of visits as a result of Organic Search, Direct, Social and Referrals (i.e. Top Acqusition Channels) each month.

I can't see a way to pull these metrics into my Data Studio reporting.

Do you know if it can be done?

thanks,
Nathan

Acquisition metrics

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Pretty sure what you're after is the dimension "Default Channel Grouping".  Pull this as your dimension in Data Studio and see if that lines up to what you're seeing in GA.

Acquisition metrics

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for this Mike, I think you're right. But I'm having trouble creating the calculated field to add that dimension. Can you point me in the direction of any advice for how to do that - I tried this video https://support.google.com/datastudio/answer/6299685?hl=en but couldn't follow it! Sorry, as i say, I'm a bit of a beginner in data Studio.

Re: Acquisition metrics

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

2017-06-05_1226.pngIt's a built in Dimension, you don't need to create anything custom.  When adding your dimension search for "Default Channel Grouping" and see if you can find it.

Acquisition metrics

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your swift response.

That does help, but I'm still unsure, despite the screenshot, where I add the Dimension??

Re: Acquisition metrics

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

On the right side of the screen in the Data tab click on 'Add a Dimension'

2017-06-05_1340.png

Acquisition metrics

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks - sorry, long day!