5.4K members online now
Guide Me
star_border

SalesForce counts as a referral for conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Started digging into conversiont tracking 2 weeks ago for Google Analytics (even though we have several months of data). What we noticed whas that SalesForce appears as referral traffic. It goes like this:

1) A visitor fills in the form --> 2) Redirects quickly though SalesForce --> 3) They land on /success-page (Automatically).

Since Google Analytics by default uses the the "Latest Interaction" makes this lead counts as a referral, and not AdWords or Organic - which it seems to be when I swap to "First Interaction" in attributes.

I tried the obvious solution of excluding salesforce.com. But that just resulted in that we do not see how many "referrals" there was at all. But the conversions did not seem to increase. Which made me believe all we did was to filter those, not just "ignoring" that step.

I am a bit new to Google Analytics. But here is my concerns:

1) How could I "Ignore" (filter) these out without just discarding them totally? All I want is Google Analytics to be blind to SalesForce. But still count the conversion to AdWords or Organic.

2) I would love to get the data back of the number of conversions we have had. I know filter do not work retrospectively. Any way to filter it out in advanced?

Do note: Since all forms goes through SalesForce - That should cause a 100% referral. At the moment it's just 90%. It could be some forms not working properly - but wanted to add this so I did not leave any detail out.

Another question. I am aware of that it is not possible to swap from "First Interaction" to "Last Interaction". Am I mistaken or anything updated recently? This would solve all the issues.

I hope I made myself clear without adding too much Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Usually in situations like this where a person is redirected thru a 3rd party, that 3rd party gets added to the referral Exclusion List.. and in doing this the 3rd party does not get seen as the referral.

It wont work for those ppl that have already been marked as coming from Salesforce until such times as they come back via a different source or campaign, however it will start to fix the issue going forward for new conversions.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your answer. A bit new here, so please help me clearify.

So you are saying I could exclude SalesForce as a referral and those 90% that came from referral will be divided into organic and AdWords conversions instead? And just simply ignore Salesforce, and take the last Interaction source before Salesforce?

My data today said all of them was totally ignored. So your answer is confusing me. Also it feels logic that the filter - filters it totally. Hence we loose conversions.

Re: SalesForce counts as a referral for conversions

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

So you are saying I could exclude SalesForce as a referral and those 90% that came from referral will be divided into organic and AdWords conversions instead? 

Do not use a filter applied to a View. Use the Referral Exclusion List which is specifically for this type of situation.

It changes the domain added to the list as being seen as a direct source instead of a referrer

Direct does not overwrite campaign source etc.

Doing this, does not then exclude the traffic from being tracked either.. as a filter would do.

This will also not change past data, past data already collected in the reports cannot be changed.
Even filters do not work retroactively on historical data.

This will help fix the problem going forward.. and over time the salesforce referrals will simply 'fade' out

Best thing to do is have a thorough read of the following page in the help center 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I wrote a detailed blog post that shows how to do exclude Salesforce from referrals:

https://gaconnector.com/blog/eliminate-webto-salesforce-com-referral-google-analytics/

Nils has probably solved this already, but in case someone is googling for a solution, hope it helps Smiley Happy