Analytics for Beginners - Discussions
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Guide Me
star_border

How to track forms or pdf link without Thank You Page for Marketo Pages Through GTM?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to track the form or download button (pdf file) which has been build in Marketo Form without any thank you page. Please guide me with the detailed code snippet to run and steps to measure the successfully filling of the form, counted as conversion or lead in Google Tag Manager (GTM).

1 Expert replyverified_user

How to track forms or pdf link without Thank You Page for Marketo Pages Through GTM?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nancy,

Setting up tracking for pdf downloads is pretty simple. First you need to enable the Click URL Variable:
1) In Variables click on Configure.
2) Make sure Click URL is checked

Then you need to create a new Trigger with the following: 
1) Title the trigger whatever you want (ex. PDF Links)
2) Trigger type: Just Links
3) Wait for tags: unchecked
4) Check validation: unchecked
5) Enable this trigger when all of these conditions are true: URL matches RegEx (ignore case) \.pdf$
6) Save 

Lastly you can apply this to whatever Tag you'd like. I'd recommend setting up a Virtual Page View.  

Let me know if any steps were unclear or you need additional assistance.

Hope this helps!

JD

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your great answer and it is really helpful for me. 

Just too little rephrasing my query, if we're sending any email campaign and specified direct pdf link (without any landing page). When the user's clicks that pdf link, it will lands to pdf link (www.company.com/case-deflection-case-study.pdf) from my email campaign or directly opens that link. Then, how do I will track that count in the form of event in GTM.

It would be great, if you could instruct with the steps along with snippets/snapshots to explain, as I'm beginner to GTM Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author NancyKpr
August

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Nancy,

It is possible to track direct or email PDF traffic, check out all the steps from following link: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2013/06/04/tracking-pdfs-google-analytics-server-side/. Be make sure Google Analytics should be present on your website and this is a PHP-only solution.

Hope this helps!

Roshan