Analytics for Beginners - Discussions
1K members online now
1K members online now
Guide Me
star_border

What if my IP changes when excluding it on the filters?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear all,

So we can setup a filter to exclude our own IP in a view, but most of our own IPs change over the time. So my question is: if there isn't any other method to exclude ourselves, should we periodically check our IP and manually change it in all our views, if it has changed? Has someone experience with this?

To me it sounds a little weird and tedious, so just making myself sure about this.

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniel M
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Daniel, 

With a dynamic IP I'd recommend other options of excluding your traffic from the reports. The easiest is probably to change your browser settings to not accept cookies for your domain.

Hope this helps!

JD

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniel M
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Daniel, 

With a dynamic IP I'd recommend other options of excluding your traffic from the reports. The easiest is probably to change your browser settings to not accept cookies for your domain.

Hope this helps!

JD

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Could you explain how to do this please?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for your answer! That was well thought. I blocked the cookies for my domain as you said and that made the trick Smiley Happy

Thanks again,

Daniel

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Chris,

For Google Chrome:

1) Settings -> Show advanced settings -> Privacy -> Content Settings...

2) On 'Cookies' section select 'Manage exceptions...' and block the cookies for any domain you specify Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It is a good option, but bear in mind that by completely blocking cookies from a site you might not be able to open that site normally. 
I tried your solution and it worked (in GA), but when I looked a bit more, some of the content on my site was missing. There was no outbound links, blog posts and some other dynamic content. So I had to unblock cookies for my site to load as it should.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Muchas gracias!
Solución rápida y efectiva, sin dar muchas vueltas. Increible como no se me ocurrio antes.

Thankkkkkkkks!