AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics for Beginners - Discussions
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Guide Me
star_border

Planting tracking code into website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tutorial 1.2 How Google Analytics Works explanation on planting tracking code for website was not sufficent.

So here's my question.

How can I track website for "other people"'s website, not "my" website? I want to track my dad's company's website so that I can practice using Google Analytics.

On Youtube, many people seems to use Adobe's Dreamweaver program or any other programs that can edit webpage but I am totally new to those programs and I cannot access to any of those programs.

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Planting tracking code into website

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

How can I track website for "other people"'s website, not "my" website? I want to track my dad's company's website so that I can practice using Google Analytics.

It would depend how the site is created and whether you have the necessary permissions to access the source code or platform it is built on to make code or configuration related changes to the website.

For instance.. if you were to own a website, i cant simply decide i want to go put tracking on your site and track the traffic to it..you would need to give me the ability (requires a password and login) to possibly download the website pages via ftp, make edits to the page source code in an applicable program and re-upload the edited pages or files, to the server that hosts the site.

Depending on how the site is built.. some platforms simply need the tracking id to be entered into supplied settings.. and the hosting platform then programmatically adds the tracking code with the necessary tracking id for the site owner.

Fancy programs arent required for editing source code. It can be done with something as simple as Notepad text editor, Brackets or Notepad ++ or with a bit of a learning curve, there are free IDE's available such as Aptana Studio or Netbeans

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Planting tracking code into website

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

You need to add the tracking code to the website you need to track..