Analytics for Beginners - Discussions
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Guide Me
star_border

I don’t have access to the source code on my website. How do I add the Analytics tracking code?

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Whether your website is self-hosted or hosted through an existing service like Wordpress will depend on how you add Google Analytics tracking code for data collection. If you use a service, they may provide you with a way to add just your GA tracking ID into a field in their admin settings. There’s a great article in our Help Center that describes the different kinds of sites you could potentially track and describes how to add the tracking code.

2 Expert replyverified_user

I don’t have access to the source code on my website. How do I add the Analytics tracking code?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! I'm doing the practice of Google Analytics for Begginer- Google Analytics Setup and would like to know if I can access the googlemerchandiserstore.com pages to insert the tracking code. (That is the account shown in the example)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Silvina M one option is to set up a free blog on Blogger https://www.blogger.com/

It gives you the option of editing the website html templates so as to manually add the tracking code, 

or you can use the blogger's built in setting option.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, what if the blog is a Wordpress.com (not.org)? The .com version does not support plugins for me to easily place the tracking code in the website. According to my reading, I would need some knowledge about PHP so I won't ruin the blog. Any thoughts?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
unfortunately wordpress.com sites do not support google analytics unless on one of the paid wordpress.com business plans.

https://en.support.wordpress.com/google-analytics/

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Bronwyn V, thanks a lot for your answer. Regards!!