AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Advanced Analytics - Discussions
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Bi-directional cross-domain tracking with Tag Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to set up cross-domain tracking using Google Tag Manager between 2 sites - A.com and B.com. And, I am using the same container for both websites.

I found instructions to configure this, but I'm confused when I get to step 3. 

I'm able to create a Just Links trigger type, but I do not understand to enable it when the url contains A.com. Also, I'm not sure if this step is supposed to be followed when using the same container for both websites. Is this step necessary in this case?

In the container for A.com:

1. Add a basic page tracking tag (i.e. Tag Type of Google Analytics or Universal Analytics; Track Type of Page View) if you don't already have one. This tag must fire on all pages.
  2. If you are using the same container for A.com and B.com, or if you want to allow bi-directional cross domain tracking (i.e. linking from B.com to A.com), under More Settings → Fields to Set, enter a new field with these values:
    1. Field Name: allowLinker
    2. Value: true
  3. Create a trigger based on the click event.
    1. Select Just Links as the trigger type.
    2. Name the trigger "outgoing link click to B.com". Enable this tag for when the url contains A.com.
    3. Add a second filter "element target contains B.com". Have the trigger fire when the click url contains B.com.
  4. Add a Google Analytics tag (Classic or Universal).
    1. Select "outgoing click from A.com to B.com" as the trigger.
    2. Select the Track Type to Decorate Link).
    3. Give the tag a name. (For example, "GA Link Decorator from A.com to B.com").
  5. Save a version of the container and publish it.

If you are using a separate container for B.com, in the container for B.com:

1. Add a basic Google Analytics page tracking tag (Classic or Universal; Track Type of Page View) if you don't already have one. This tag must fire on all pages.
  2. Under More Settings → Fields to Set, enter:
  3. Save a version of the container and publish it.

(reference) https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106951

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Have you done below steps

Form Submits from A.com to B.com (Auto Link Domains)

In the container for A.com

1. Add a (or edit your existing) basic page tracking tag (i.e. Tag Type of Universal Analytics; Track Type of Page View).
  2. If you are using the same container for A.com and B.com, under Fields to Set, enter:
    Field Name: allowLinker
    Value: true
  3. Find the field More settings → Cookie Configuration → Cookie Domain and enter "auto" (no quotes).
  4. Find the field More settings → Cross Domain Tracking → Auto Link Domains and enter "B.com" (no quotes).
    If you have multiple domains, separate them by commas:
    A.com, B.com, C.com
  5. Set the trigger to "All Pages".
  6. Save a version of the container and publish it.

If you are using a separate container for B.com, in the container for B.com

1. Add a (or edit your existing) basic page tracking tag (i.e. Tag Type of Universal Analytics; Track Type of Page View).
  2. Under Fields to Set, enter:
  3. Save a version of the container and publish it.

Read details here https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106951

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Allison A

For help with GTM questions, best place to get them answered is on the Official Google Tag Manager Forum
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/tag-manager

Thanks
Bronwyn

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here