1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Guide Me
star_border

Absolute beginner - how long approximately does it take to complete full course

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a complete beginner.  I have just registered to start taking the google analytics courses to become certified upon completion of test at end.  I understand people work at different paces....may I ask how long the complete course took you from beginning to end?  I will be able to put in 2 hours a day likely more.  I am very interested in becoming a social media analyst so if you have any advice and wish to throw it my way...please do.  If there is anything you think I need to know or would benefit from chuck it all at me.  I am a mother of 5 wanting to return to work once my 5 year old attends full time school beginning in September.  I know there is a lot more to becoming a social media analyst ...but this is one part of where I am starting.  I am also taking a few courses on Udemy from Moz 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

just completed the course [4 courses] .. i had spend 6 hours daily x 4 days [1 course / day] , total 24 hours.. am also a beginner .. 

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Some general advice - get access to as many different GA accounts as you can. Each set-up is different and you can learn a lot just from seeing how the data can be presented. The Google Analytics part of this forum is an excellent resource, in particular look for questions where people are reporting issues which are subsequently solved. Given your goal of becoming a social media analyst, I'd recommend getting to grips with Facebook and YouTube analytics as well. Other platforms also have analytics tools, but FB and YT are often where most money is being invested by your future clients. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much - that gives me an idea...I had no clue if it was a quickie or a year or so....so my goal of 1 month is doable...off to start right now...Again....thank you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much John I will add those to my to do list also - great advice. 

Perhaps a silly question - but I am wondering if you need a website in order to do google analytics?.....I would imagine not all people have a website

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Yes, you require a website. In some very special circumstances you can send, or import other data to GA but in most cases you're going to be using it to track online behaviour on a website. I believe the academy has a test website which you can use, but I'd also recommend creating your own which you can mess around with. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Absolute beginner - how long approximately does it take to complete full course

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you - I do have a website but it is not active - does that matter?  It is an older hair accessory website where I used to sell products but due to China and Walmart competing it is no longer active...nor do I direct traffic to it.  www.LittleCans.com

Re: Absolute beginner - how long approximately does it take to complete full course

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would be concerned only for the reason that it is not active.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

As long it's capable of being visited then you can use it - even if no one else is visiting it you can still track your own visits to the site via GA.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your help - a huge help - perhaps a win win and this will revamp my business...

Have a wonderful day!