4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Guide Me
star_border

2.4 Create your own custom metrics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

2.5 minutes into the video Justin says that if you do not want the value to exceed one. Yet he enters a maximum value of 2. Could someone please clarify if this in fact the way to set a metric so that its maximum value is 1?

You can also specify minimum and maximum values that determine whether Analytics will process this metric and include it in your reports. This can help prevent accidental large or small values from being collected and affecting your reporting. Since we know we don’t want our range to exceed 1, we can set a minimum value of 0 and a maximum value of 2.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The reply restates your question, so I thought I would try.  I had the same question in terms of the logic used, I can only offer what I think the logic must be in the underlying equations.  Apparently The math operators must not include the minimum and maximum value so the equation generated from the entries looks like this:

[ value > 0 and value < 2 ], since we have limited the value to integers the only possibility = 1.

If I am correct then they we have said that: if a Hit is found the value would never be 0 as well as less than 2, it always = 1.   creating this step assures the range can only be 1.  I don't have a way to test it right now, but I believe that a minimum or maximum of 1 should produce NO results.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Michael for your great answer - I thought I was being "thick" when I questioned the "2" as a maximum value.  What you say makes total sense.  

Cheers