4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

one company with multiple pages with different location based names

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've just taken over the marketing duties for a company and all of our 22 or so google location pages are titled "TEC Equipment - (City Name)" which seems like it works well enough for local search. This is what we call each location in all of our branding as well "Come down to TEC Equipment - (City Name) for XYZ event.." 

My question is, should we have a page that is just called TEC Equipment, or should these pages be called TEC Equipment?

The one thing I'm noticing that might be a problem is that google may think that TEC Equipment - Portland and TEC Equipment - San Francisco are two different companies rather than one company and as such could be causing google to be somewhat confused and could potentially be hurting us. I know google is smart enough to know that if someone searched for our company in SF they're going to see relevant local results and not our Phoenix location. 

I've noticed with a few things like with google jobs our logo/website info doesn't show up on google (which may be something very different causing this) and my one worry is that things like this are because the brand appears to fragmented or that google doesn't recognize that TEC Equipment Portland is part of TEC Equipment.

I've not found anything related to this subject online and I've always set up pages with just the company name

Full business name:  TEC Equipment
Current business address: 750 NE Columbia Blvd, Portland, OR 97211
Current telephone number: (503) 285-7667
Google Maps URL : Portland Seattle (2 just to use as an example)
Website (if applicable): tecequipment.com

Re: one company with multiple pages with different location based names

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

TEC E wrote:

I've just taken over the marketing duties for a company and all of our 22 or so google location pages are titled "TEC Equipment - (City Name)" which seems like it works well enough for local search. This is what we call each location in all of our branding as well "Come down to TEC Equipment - (City Name) for XYZ event.." 

My question is, should we have a page that is just called TEC Equipment, or should these pages be called TEC Equipment?

The one thing I'm noticing that might be a problem is that google may think that TEC Equipment - Portland and TEC Equipment - San Francisco are two different companies rather than one company and as such could be causing google to be somewhat confused and could potentially be hurting us. I know google is smart enough to know that if someone searched for our company in SF they're going to see relevant local results and not our Phoenix location. 

I've noticed with a few things like with google jobs our logo/website info doesn't show up on google (which may be something very different causing this) and my one worry is that things like this are because the brand appears to fragmented or that google doesn't recognize that TEC Equipment Portland is part of TEC Equipment.

I've not found anything related to this subject online and I've always set up pages with just the company name

Full business name:  TEC Equipment
Current business address: 750 NE Columbia Blvd, Portland, OR 97211
Current telephone number: (503) 285-7667
Google Maps URL : Portland Seattle (2 just to use as an example)
Website (if applicable): tecequipment.com

Re: one company with multiple pages with different location based names

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @TEC E,

TEC E wrote:

Congratulations on your new position :).

To answer your question, it doesn't really matter what is working well for local search, using a location description in the name of your business, like  "TEC Equipment - (City Name)" is not permitted as per the Google My Business guidelines: Google My Business Help -> Guidelines for representing your business on Google

"Including unnecessary information in your business name is not permitted, and could result in your listing being suspended. Refer to the specific examples below to determine what you can and can't include in your business name.

Location information, such as neighborhood, city, or street name, unless it is part of your business's consistently-used and recognized real-world representation. Your name must not include street address or direction information.

Not acceptable: "Holiday Inn (I-93 at Exit 2)", "U.S. Bank ATM - 7th & Pike - Parking Garage Lobby near Elevator", “Equinox near SOHO”"

Do you mean "should we have a page that is just called TEC Equipment, or should these pages be called "TEC Equipment - City Name"?

If yes, then the answer is the they should be named "TEC Equipment" to conform to the guidelines.

You are correct that different images seem to be appearing for the knowledge graphs for the search terms "TEC Equipment - Portland" and "TEC Equipment - San Francisco" (these search queries were made in incognito mode when signed out of my Google Account):

TEC Equipment - Portland:

TEC Equipment - Portland - Knowledge Graph.png

TEC Equipment - San Francisco

TEC Equipment - San Francisco -_ Knowledge Graph.png

I'm not a search expert, so I don't know how to identify if/when Google is misinterpreting the organisational structure of your company.

But, I believe you could use the Local Business schema markup: https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/local-businesses, and/or the organisational schema markup: http://schema.org/Organization to define this so that it is easier for Google to understand.

Thank you.