My Business
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Why the Google Business Places desc content does not appear

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there!

We're wondering why the information we place in our location details in Google By Business local/manage Places only displays some content? 

I note namely that the description information does not appear at all but that Google seems to source the description content from elsewhere.  My question is where is this content sourced? 

Actual data below: 

On our Google Places:
Book Direct at Foley Towers. Don't pay online booking fees. Fabulously friendly and Facebook famous. Safe for free independent travellers. Peaceful garden oasis. Beds not bunks. Underfloor heating and hot water.

Description displaying for an organic search:
Consisting of 2 buildings, this laid-back hostel is a 7-minute walk from the nearest bus stop and 2 km from both Hagley Park and Christchurch Botanic Gardens.

The simple dorms (all-female accommodation available by request) and private rooms have Wi-Fi (fee) and heated floors. Most have shared bathrooms. Some private rooms offer en suite bathrooms. There's no air-conditioning.

Off-street parking and luggage storage is complimentary. There's a coin-operated laundry, a guest lounge, a TV room, and a garden, as well as 2 communal kitchens. Children age 7 and over are welcome.

We have many locations under this Network and although most of the information is correct, we are concerned where you source your descriptions from and why the info we have placed on the description is not displaying.

Thank you

Felicia Forbes

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why the Google Business Places desc content does not appear

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hey Felicia
about what GoogleMyBusiness page are you talking?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Helmut

I'm actually referring to the Google Places description content overall,
however, as an example, the below page contains a description that we want
displayed... "Book Direct at Foley Towers. ..." etc but is not viewable via
a Google organic search in the Places / Maps section (screenshot below)
that appears on the right side of the search list.

https://plus.google.com/b/100418832667331224224/100418832667331224224/about?gmbpt=true&hl=en-GB

[image: Inline image 1]

Cheers
Felicia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Helmut

I'm actually referring to the Google Places description content overall, however, as an example, the below page contains a description that we want displayed... "Book Direct at Foley Towers. ..." etc but is not viewable via a Google organic search in the Places / Maps section (screenshot below) that appears on the right side of the search list.

The Page:

https://plus.google.com/b/100418832667331224224/100418832667331224224/about?gmbpt=true&hl=en-GB

The Screenshot of other desc content:

screengrab.jpgWhere is this desc content sourced?

Cheers

Felicia

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Two Remarks please:

1#  Google changed a while ago the presentation of the content of a GoogleMyBusiness listing.

Any description provided in the dashboard is still visible in the classic view of G+ 

as below shown:

Screenshot 2016-06-22 at 00.21.44.png

2# they stoped showing the description in the knowledge graph and replaced it by a google driven kind of "description". What you (and me and others)  see in the knowledge graph is this google driven kind of "description".

In oyur case I am pretty surprised about the large amount of text of the description and I have no idea how or who is responsible for this "excessive" description.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
These are editorial summaries: https://support.google.com/business/answer/6088158?hl=en

I'm seeing more and more of these so I'm not surprised they are getting more in-depth.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Helmut for your feedback on this.

1. Thankyou. I understand that the correct Description is visible via the Google+ page view;
2. But WHY does Google insist on displaying another description on the 'knowledge graph' when consistency is very important to us. If we manage to keep our listings and records up to date, (because we have a few), why can we not have autonomy over what is displayed when an organic search is placed? I'm very curious as to where Google is sourcing the 'knowledge graph' description information. Are you able to find out at all?

Many thanks for your time with this.
Cheers
Felicia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Joy for this information. Is there a way that we can overwrite these 'editorial summaries' and replace them with the actual data that we 'the business' provide?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
there isn't a way to overwrite these 'editorial summaries'
according the HC Article Joy linked you
They tell us ""We don't remove descriptions for being unclear or negative. We only remove the following:

Keywords and review snippets that have been associated with an unrelated place.
Editorial summaries if the information included describes services that the business doesn't offer."

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Helmut
Thanks for your reply. I understand the article, however, I still have a big 'But'... although Google understandably removes keywords / services that don't describe what the business offers, my one question is: why can we not have complete autonomy on our editorial summaries so long as the content IS what our business truly offers? It is our business after all. We don't want the editorial summary that we haven't written placed against our business... we want 'our' description, that we choose, for our business. Does this make sense at all, or am I missing the point? I really do require some clarification around this. Thank you.