My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

When a Company have representatives (brokers)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good afternoon. I would like help to have the right direction for the following situation:

We have an insurance company client that has a network of 1500 Representatives (Brokers) located at different locations throughout the country.

These Brokers represent not only my client's brand but also other brands in the same battle field. On the other hand these Brokers have their own companies with their names.

My client wants to increase his online presence with a Local SEO strategy.

Does it make sense for my client to make as many Google My Business pages as the mediators he has in different addresses?
Is it mandatory or does it make sense for the names of the GMB pages to contain the names of the companies that represent them and the brand of my client or can they contain only my client's brand?
Who should own the page? My client or the company that represents him?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The short answer is that this is not allowable. 

The longer answer: Google has a set of guidelines as to what is acceptable you should read it: https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en and for the company to attempt to verify these and include their insurance name as part of these listings would be problematic

These Brokers represent not only my client's brand but also other brands in the same battle field. On the other hand these Brokers have their own companies with their names.

They are required to use the name as they are known in the real world. 

Does it make sense for my client to make as many Google My Business pages as the mediators he has in different addresses?

Your client is not allowed to create listings on behalf of others unless the client has their express permission. Many of these locations already have listings that are verified. 

Is it mandatory or does it make sense for the names of the GMB pages to contain the names of the companies that represent them and the brand of my client or can they contain only my client's brand?

It is against the guidelines to include information about a prodcut or service in the name of the agents unless it is part of their name.

For example Allstate agents are captive and effectively the location is controlled by Allstate so it can be named Allstate: Agent name and verified by Allstate. But while Progressive whose agents are not captive can assist their agents in verifying the listing, Progressive can not add their name to that of the local agent. 

Who should own the page? My client or the company that represents him?

Google's rules on ownership:

Only business owners or authorized representatives may verify and manage their business information on Google My Business. If you wish to share management access to your listing with others, you can add a manager.

Re: When a Company have representatives (brokers)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Rui N

Your client would not be allowed to have listings at the locations of the brokers. A broker should have a listing for his/her own company, but your client would not be eligible to make listings at their addresses.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike and thanks for your quick reply. However I still have some doubts:

1. Supose I'm a national or international insurance brand. Allianz for example. If I have a local representative can't I consider that he is my authorized representative? And in this case can't I use his store to be one of my business locations? I mean can't I have a GMB page at his location if I have his express permission?

2. If answer to question 1. is Yes, than you mean that GMB page must only have my representative name right? Consider this link:

https://www.google.pt/maps/place/R2+Media%C3%A7%C3%A3o+de+Seguros/@38.7514887,-9.1901563,3a,75y,90t/...

This is an Allianz representative. If it is not Captive Allianze can't have a GMB page on his address? Be aware that Allianz has a their logo well visible at Representative Front Store besides he is not Captive, ok ?

In this case can't Allianz have a GMB page named for example: "R2 Mediação de Seguros - Allianz Broker"?

Waiting your comments on this. Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks TomW for your feedback. I unsderstand what you mean but, following GMB Guidelines (https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en) it states that if a broker is my local representative and also represents other brands he can have separate listing for each brand at his location. And in this case page can name can be "brokername - mybrandname parter" for example. Do you agree with me?

On the other hand if that broker is my local representative (he sells my products) and if he express accepts that I have a GMB page at his address, can't I have it? In this case do you think it's against GMB guidelines?

Waiting your feedback on this. Regards

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Each business location or in this case agent is entitled to one listing on Google Maps. 

The name they they use is the name they are known by in the world. 

You as the insurance company can assist them with verifying but unless they are captive agents you have no ability to append your name. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Mike for your feedback. I unsderstand what you mean but, following GMB Guidelines (https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en) it states that if a broker is my local representative and also represents other brands he can have separate listing for each brand at his location. And in this case page can name can be "brokername - mybrandname parter" for example. Do you agree with me?

On the other hand if that broker is my local representative (he sells my products) and if he express accepts that I have a GMB page at his address, can't I have it? In this case do you think it's against GMB guidelines?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

it states that if a broker is my local representative and also represents other brands he can have separate listing for each brand at his location. And in this case page can name can be "brokername - mybrandname parter" for example.

It states that he may NOT have a separate listing for each brand:

An individual practitioner is a public-facing professional, typically with his or her own customer base. Doctors, dentists, lawyers, financial planners, and insurance or real estate agents are all individual practitioners. 

A practitioner should NOT have multiple listings to cover all of his or her specializations.

Do you agree with me?

No

You can not have a GMB page at his address. You are only eligible for a listing for any location that you own and control.

Only HE/SHE can have a GMB page at his address. You can assist them in creating it and Google has detailed the rules for authorized representatives

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike, thanks for your feedback

Look at here: https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en

Two or more brands at the same location

If your business location combines two or more brands, do not combine the brand names into a single listing. Instead, pick one brand’s name for the listing. If the brands operate independently, you may use a separate listing for each brand at this location.

This is the case I'm asking you. My Agents represents other insurance companies, I mean they represent brands that operate independently. So if they represent 3 insurance companies, these guidelines accept that they have 3 listings for same address, right? Now you agree with me? ;)

Waiting your feedback

Regards

Rui

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

If your business location combines two or more brands, do not combine the brand names into a single listing. Instead, pick one brand’s name for the listing. 

This is specifically to address the question of a Taco Bell and a Kentucky Fried Chicken occupying the same building. Where the brands present themselves differently to the public, the marketing is different and the building actually carries two names. 

If the brands operate independently, you may use a separate listing for each brand at this location.

In your case both brands do not operate independently as they are represented by Local Agent A as the business entity with one entrance, one sign and one forward facing business presence.  Your agents are no different than the tire store that carries both Michelin and Bridgestone tires. 

I am not sure how many ways I can say this but your use case is not within Google guidelines.