My Business
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Transferring Primary Ownership

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Following the instructions to transfer ownership was successful, I was able to select "owner" or "manager" role, so I selected "owner"  The instructions followed are here https://support.google.com/business/answer/3415281?hl=en 

The designated "owner" received the email invitation and accepted.  So now I wish to make them "Primary Owner" which I am presently.  However as I proceed I am met with this message: 

"You're transferring primary ownership to an unverified user. This business account will no longer be bulk verified, and new locations added to it will need to be verified individually."

So I canceled and came here to ask how do we go from "unverified user" to "verified user"  ... is there a process for this?  Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide on this subject.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carolyn H
April 2017

Re: Transferring Primary Ownership

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Carolyn H- that's something the documentation isn't clear on at all. 

A colleague of mine tweeted to support about this. I'll copy the exchange below. 

We become "primary owner" of a listing that we are managing for a client so we then transfer "primary owner" to the client, in hopes that we can remain "owner" level. When we transfer primary ownership, however, we lose all access to the listing instead of just becoming "owner" or "manager" -- is this as intended?

GMB twitter team response:  

Thanks for responding! That's correct, if you select a email account as a owner then you would lose access to the page. To have access to the page and also give ownership rights you will have to select the email account as a co-owner. Please check this support article for more information: https://goo.gl/B4eC9V  Best, Vic

One of the problems I have with Vic's response: the article doesn't talk about "co-owners" as a concept. Additionally, it doesn't indicate how to transfer primary ownership without removing the previous primary owner from the listing completely. 

So, it sounds as if changing primary ownership is always like a "transfer" in that the previous primary owner gets removed from the account and has to be re-added. Would love to hear other experiences here. And, it would be nice if the help center article were clearer on this. 

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Are you trying to transfer them out of a business account or an individual Google account (one tied to your email address?). 

If you must transfer, you'll have to re-verify the new account. Instead of verifying an individual Google account, I'd look into having a business account own it and be verified, so that you can avoid need to transfer accounts in the future.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Business location was sold to another company.  I added them as to an "owner" role, then once they accepted they made themself "primary owner" and the location is no longer in my account.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carolyn H
April 2017

Re: Transferring Primary Ownership

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Carolyn H- that's something the documentation isn't clear on at all. 

A colleague of mine tweeted to support about this. I'll copy the exchange below. 

We become "primary owner" of a listing that we are managing for a client so we then transfer "primary owner" to the client, in hopes that we can remain "owner" level. When we transfer primary ownership, however, we lose all access to the listing instead of just becoming "owner" or "manager" -- is this as intended?

GMB twitter team response:  

Thanks for responding! That's correct, if you select a email account as a owner then you would lose access to the page. To have access to the page and also give ownership rights you will have to select the email account as a co-owner. Please check this support article for more information: https://goo.gl/B4eC9V  Best, Vic

One of the problems I have with Vic's response: the article doesn't talk about "co-owners" as a concept. Additionally, it doesn't indicate how to transfer primary ownership without removing the previous primary owner from the listing completely. 

So, it sounds as if changing primary ownership is always like a "transfer" in that the previous primary owner gets removed from the account and has to be re-added. Would love to hear other experiences here. And, it would be nice if the help center article were clearer on this. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

someone else has claimed by business earlier and now updated as permanently closed, and Google is total handicap to give option to verify my business, saying the current owner is not allowing to transfer the business where as the current owner is fake, I own almost 10 business location which are showing closed. https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/Riya/@29.5828143,-95.5860657,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x8640e...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

HI @Riya B

this post of you is against the guidelines of the forum for at least two reasons:

1# its off topic of the thread of @Carolyn H (her issue was not an owner refusing to transfer ownership to na other one and just closing the listings to make a kind of sabotage)

2#  you already started two times a thread an I merged them to https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Ownership-Conflicts/claim-my-business/m-p/1135842

Please stay tuned on your own thread rather hijacking other users thread.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My name is Brad and i run a SEO company and im pretty new at this i did mainly the sales portion of the company.i need to know how to delete someone else's dup google business listing they have two and one says closed and she paid me to get it off how can i get it taken off and leave her good listing up ?? any thing would help thanks board 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Brad B check out Joy's article to remove dups. This is separate from the topic at hand.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi ;;; 9071378824

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I noted that I had set up my location in two spots; as of now - I removed one of the spots - as I was not able to transfer the business to my new home location.  Now that I have the correct information in the system, it appears that maybe I had claimed by residence at a prior time - but the account is still flagged as a duplicate.  How do i clear this up?