My Business
3K members online now
3K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Transferring Primary Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run the business accounts for one of our clients but there are a couple of listings amongst the 24 they have that have someone else as the the primary owner. I am wanting to remove a couple of these listings as the client no longer runs business there but my only option is to mark as closed because of the other primary owner. I don't want to go down this route as the business can still show up in search when the client wants it removed altogether. I have requested a call from Google and emailed through Google My Business but didn't receive a response on either occasion. Does anyone know the best way to go about removing unwanted locations when there is this kind of issue?

Any help will be gratefully received.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Transferring Primary Ownership

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Katie M,

I run the business accounts for one of our clients but there are a couple of listings amongst the 24 they have that have someone else as the the primary owner. I am wanting to remove a couple of these listings as the client no longer runs business there but my only option is to mark as closed because of the other primary owner. I don't want to go down this route as the business can still show up in search when the client wants it removed altogether.

If you know the primary owner, you could ask them to transfer ownership over to you.

They may do so by following the instructions here: Google My Business Help -> Transfer primary ownership of a listing.

However, even if they do so, you will not be able to remove the storefront listings from Google Maps as well, you can only stop managing the location, by following the instructions here: Google My Business Help -> Remove a location.

The listing will still continue to be shown in Google Maps as an unverified listing.

According to the guidelines, if a business ever existed at a specified address, it cannot be removed - only marked as closed.

Generally, only listings for spam, or places that never existed can be removed according to the guidelines.

However, you don't need to worry - as the closed listings will eventually fade from search results.

This is because, when a listing is created at an address, many resources on the internet, such as business directories, etcetera feed into that listing.

Now, when the listing for a business that has closed down is marked as removed, those old resources will continue to feed into the listing and may even lead to the listing being re-instated from deletion (I have seen this myself, when Map Maker was open, that is, listings that have been removed, in place of being marked as permanently closed, being re-instated by bots).

I have requested a call from Google and emailed through Google My Business but didn't receive a response on either occasion. Does anyone know the best way to go about removing unwanted locations when there is this kind of issue?

Any help will be gratefully received.

The only way to handle such listings, in compliance of the guidelines, is to mark them as "Permanently Closed".

Thank you.