AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

The coverage area map for My Business is incorrect.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My business covers California, Maryland, Massachusetts, and New York. Our main office is in Los Angeles. The map for our Google My Business page looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/PG2JkHy.png

The coverage area encompasses states that we do not cover. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gordon A
November 2015

Re: The coverage area map for My Business is incorrect.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Happy to help Gordon!

Here are the guidelines on whether a business qualifies for a place listing at all:
https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en

Most importantly, this line:
In order to qualify for a local Google+ page, a business must make in-person contact with customers during its stated hours.

If you don't directly work with customers in person at all, then you don't qualify for a listing. If that's the case, then yes, you should remove your business page. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Gordon, 

Oh man, that does look like a problem. You'll have to post a link to your actual Google my Business page if you want someone to take a closer look, but  at a glance at least, I think you're approaching how you're representing your business the wrong way. This might not answer your question directly, but it'll hopefully get you on the right track. 

So first up, a Google my Business service area listing is mostly about getting you found by local customers, and it seems to work best when you have a smaller radius selected. I've seen best practice recommendations for 20mi, and I've seen pages with over 40 miles start to run into ranking penalties. Trying to have your business listed as a multi-state area of coverage is a good way to make sure no one finds your business at all. 

In addition to that, Google will usually put your little map-marker in the middle of whatever area you say you service. Even if you're just trying to rank for a few cities, that's something you need to keep in mind since you don't want your marker showing up in the middle of nowhere. The profiles aren't designed to be used for a business that covers two unconnected geographic areas, so I'm pretty sure this is what's causing that issue for you. 

A lot of businesses of course (landscapers, roofers, etc) will take on clients from a pretty big geographic area, but they're all still better off setting up their Google my Business profile for a smaller area, and using other marketing tools to reach out beyond their neighborhood. (Google Adwords, writing pages on your site targeted for some of the other cities you're trying to rank, etc). Either way, there's a ton of ways to get yourself out there, but this particular tool is just for the area around your actual location. I know that might not be the answer you're hoping for, but it'll get you farther than trying to get your service area on the map to show for the right states. The only exception, is if you have multiple physical branches of the business. You're allowed one profile per physical location. Since it looks like you have two main areas of business (New England and the Bay area) is that because you have two active branches of the company? If you have a separate team, phone number, and base of operations up in New England, then having a separate profile for up there would probably be allowed, but it's hard to say for sure without knowing specifics. 

Also, if you just wanted a place for customers to see your service area, you can always create a map to display that information to customers on your website. Either way, on the profile itself, you should probably set the radius down to 40 miles. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question, I really appreciate it. That information is definitely disappointing. We are an online marketplace where solar installers compete for residential solar contracts. Do you think it would be best to remove the My Business page entirely? Or just the service area section? I don't want New England customers searching for our site and finding that we only serve customers within 20 miles of our headquarters in Los Angeles. 

Thanks again,

Gordon

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello Gordon,
If the business is an online marketplace then it does not qualify at all for a My Business listing.
My Business is meant for businesses that actually provide the services/goods to the customers not for company that act as intermediaries to provide leads to the actual businesses.
You should delete your My Business listing and concentrate your efforts on traditional organic SEO techniques for your web site,
You could create a custom map to embed in your web site to show your area of coverage.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gordon A
November 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Happy to help Gordon!

Here are the guidelines on whether a business qualifies for a place listing at all:
https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en

Most importantly, this line:
In order to qualify for a local Google+ page, a business must make in-person contact with customers during its stated hours.

If you don't directly work with customers in person at all, then you don't qualify for a listing. If that's the case, then yes, you should remove your business page.