My Business
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Store front and service area business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Howdy,

First of thank you for helping me with this problem, I've searched high and low and can't seem to figure this one out.

So I manage the web presence for a company that has multiple (13 or so) service stations. These stations offer storefront products such as auto repair, gas, convenience store as well as service area services such as towing and heating oil delivery. I've created a google location page for each station and listed each of the station's services on the pages.

The problem is that we have the hours listed on each station, so when people search for towing (which is a 24 hour service) at night they are seeing the company as closed.  I could reverse this and put the hours of operation as 24-7, but then the hours would actually be incorrect for the other products offered, such as auto repair.

What I would like to do is list the towing as a separate business. The problem with this is that if I were separate it out it would still have the same physical address as the main (corporate office) station. This is the station which has the best google location page (most reviews and activity). My concern is that if I separate the towing out to a separate google location page it will merge of delete the current page with the same address.

I hope I've explained that well. If it helps the company is www.divinesauto.com and it is based out of Spokane, WA. Any help would be very appreciated.

Jacob

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: Store front and service area business

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jacob W

Yes I would create a sperate page, say: Divine's Towing.

Yes it would have the same address  But i am assuming it would have a separate telephone number then the main businesses as it is 24hrs. If you re route when the main station closes, I would still keep the separate number listed.

By keeping a sperate tel number ( also list this on towing page ) you would not have the crossover of business pages.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jacob W

Yes I would create a sperate page, say: Divine's Towing.

Yes it would have the same address  But i am assuming it would have a separate telephone number then the main businesses as it is 24hrs. If you re route when the main station closes, I would still keep the separate number listed.

By keeping a sperate tel number ( also list this on towing page ) you would not have the crossover of business pages.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. They do have a separate number dedicated to just the towing side of the business.

When I create the new business page, I will be simultaneously removing the towing category from multiple other stations' pages. Do you think I will see a decrease in visibility until the new page builds a reputation?

Additionally, and last question - since they technically service two cities, Spokane and Spokane Valley, do you think I should create two separate towing pages (one per city)?

Thank you very much for your help.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Jacob

Yes I would remove the towing category.

It may decrease in visibility for towing ( on original ) but with the new one just for towing category it should increase.

I have no idea how the algo will factor these things. Even removing the towing, the original may still outrank the new one based upon historical understanding of the business page.

In the case of servicing 2 cities, i assume from same location, then you should not create another page, but select : I also serve customers at their location, then set your service towns.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tim,

I have a similar question. I support franchisees and each one provide multiple services within a city. Do I create separate GMB pages by service with separate phone numbers? Each service has its own website. The franchise operate from one physical location.

Please advise.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Paks S

There is a big difference between a service and a business.

You should not be creating listings for services provided by a business. 1 business = 1 listing, regardless how many doorway websites / services they provide.

I guess a good way to determine if it is eligible for a business listing is:

1) Is it registered as a separate business with the State.

2) Is it registered separately for tax.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply Tim.

My problem is these are entirely different services catering to different personas offered by a location. Is there a possibility in creating "department" pages for a location akin to a retail store that offers multiple services? If not we will list both services in the category section and hope they rank in 3 pack. Please advise.

Paks

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Paks S

I have explained the guidelines and there is no way of adding services. A business is a business regardless of the amount of services they provide. If they are legitimate separate businesses then you will be okay.

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tim,

First off, thank you for your help with this issue (over a year ago). I ended up created two GMB pages, both with unique phone numbers, but with the same address. One was the service area and open 24 hours towing and the other was the actual auto repair shop and their normal hours. Everything seemed to be going well and both are ranking well enough (there was a dip for the towing, but the new GMB listing moved up relatively quickly) - thank you.

The problem that I have run into is in the GMB backend, Google has recently marked these two locations with the error "Duplicate addresses". While this does not appear to have hurt my rankings, I am concerned that they will eventually be merged if I do not act.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Jacob W

I think you are looking at the List View in the dashboard which is meant for bulk management and does say duplicate address when it detects.

Google My Business.png

If everything is showing okay in the Card View >> individual businesses then you are okay.

If they are separate businesses which they are and have their own tel numbers then you are okay.

I don't think you need to merge, they are legitimate separate businesses.