My Business
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Specific location(s) rather than the brand page info displaying in Knowledge Graph card

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Business name:

Toronto Public Library

Google+ URL:

https://plus.google.com/b/108225483576287312305/+TorontopubliclibraryCanada/about?gmbpt=true&hl=en-G...

Business address/telephone number:

We have 100 locations, all entered in Google My Business

In a Google search for our organization's name (toronto public library), the Knowledge Graph card is displaying an individual location. To make matters worse, it's conflating data from two different locations (our Toronto Reference Library location and our City Hall location). 

I have made corrections to what I assume was incorrect user-submitted data for the individual locations in Google My Business.

My bigger question is: why are individual locations coming up instead of our brand page?

This is causing some serious customer service issues for us, so I would appreciate any help!

google-search-toronto-public-library-2016-07-07.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Specific location(s) rather than the brand page info displaying in Knowledge Graph card

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Toronto

Brand pages do not appear as a knowledge panel, only location business pages.

This is the local business page:

https://plus.google.com/108569688420392550032/about

I would recommend correcting all your business page names:

Toronto Public Library - City Hall Library >> Just >> Toronto Public Library

Toronto Public Library - Toronto Reference Library >> Toronto Reference Library

Toronto Public Library - North York Central Library >> North York Central Library

This would stop Google from attaching the incorrect Wiki article to the wrong page.

It will also present the correct KP for the correct search term.

I will bump this up to have that wiki, article changed, but as this is algorithmic, it takes time to reflect the changes.

Tim Capper
Google My Business Top Contributor (UK) and SEO consultant at Online Ownership

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Re: Specific location(s) rather than the brand page info displaying in Knowledge Graph card

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Tim. We had the names set up that way originally (without "Toronto Public Library" in each location's name), but that seemed to be creating problems for people who didn't know the name of the specific library branch they were searching for and just wanted to find all the Toronto Public Library locations or the location nearest them.

I can't change the City Hall location to just Toronto Public Library because I don't want that individual location to come up when people do a general search for "toronto public library." City Hall is just one of our 100 locations.

What I'm really trying to figure out is how we can avoid having any of our individual locations display in the Knowledge Panel when people search "toronto public library." This is creating customer service problems for us, as everyone who googles is being directed to individual locations rather than our central customer support, and the small libraries don't have the staff/hours to support this.

The ideal experience would be like what happens when you search "starbucks" - the Knowledge Panel displays general information about Starbucks the company, not information about an individual Starbucks store.

Is there anything I can do to try to get the "starbucks" type of Knowledge Panel treatment? I was hoping the Google+ brand page would help with that.

Many thanks for your help.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi

If you are looking for the starbucks scenario, this is called the knowledge graph and comes from external sources that you tie together with schema markup up site.

You will need to use organizational schema on site and structure the actual locations within this.

https://schema.org/Organization  ( sitewide )

https://schema.org/Library            ( on each locations pages )

Social markup on each locations landing page:

https://developers.google.com/search/docs/guides/enhance-site

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Schema.org is definitely something we've been wanting to do. I will see if I can speed that project up.

I'm wondering about going ahead with your suggestion for removing "Toronto Public Library" from the individual location listing titles. When we added it in, we were following the guideline provided here:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177#chains

"All business locations within the same country must have the same name for all locations. For example, all Home Depot locations should use the name "The Home Depot" rather than "Home Depot" or "The Home Depot at Springfield".

"There are two exceptions to this policy:

"If you have multiple types of business--sub-brands, multiple departments, or various types of operations such as retail and wholesale--these distinct entities may also have a distinct name so long as it is consistently applied to all locations of that business.

"Acceptable name variations: "Walmart Supercenter" and "Walmart Express"; "Nordstrom" and "Nordstrom Rack"; "Gap" and "babyGap"
If some of your locations consistently use a different name in the real world - on their storefront, website, stationery etc. - these locations can use this different name.
Acceptable name variations: "Intercontinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco" and "Intercontinental New York Barclay"; "PFK" (for locations in Quebec) and "KFC" (for locations in the US and rest of Canada)

Am I interpreting this incorrectly? It seems like a better experience for our customers if they can pull up all the locations using "Toronto Public Library".

Any other suggestions? The schema.org markup is not a change we'll be able to make overnight.

Thanks again for your help.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Toronto

I never said the name was against guidelines, I was trying to help segment the properties so that Google understood them. Clearly they don't because they added the wrong wiki to the wrong location.

Your other option, would be to change all Wiki titles to match the local page. I would also make sure each wiki page listed address, geo location, landing page URL.

The same details will match your schema on each location page.

Provide the same signals and Google won't have to guess.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Tim. The Wikipedia idea is interesting. We're going to try adding schema markup ASAP.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We added the schema markup earlier this week, then submitted the pages to the index. Search Console is indicating that Google found 94 structured data items (no idea why only 94, when there are 100 locations).

Nothing has changed yet in the the Knowledge Panel. I guess we just have to wait and hope for the best.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
It will take quite a while, because that needs to filter through to all data centers and of course the Knowledge Panel is based on Maps data in part and thats another separate system.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It has been more than a month, and nothing has changed.

We continue to hear from customers who have been confused and inconvenienced by the incorrect information, which is very frustrating.

Still waiting...