My Business
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Special characters within non-English listings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone

Recently, I've noticed a problem when bulk uploading Spanish location data for Enterprise Rent-A-Car. Many feature special characters which can't be displayed in the downloadable .csv file. I converted this bulk file to .xls and fixed the errors but when I re-uploaded the file, the special character replacements (ß instead of ß, etc.) appeared in the listings - there's an example in Maps here.

As our location pages contain these special characters, and are likely used as a signal - is there a way to ensure special characters are available via bulk upload?

Thanks very much!

Matthew Harfield

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Special characters within non-English listings

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Dan A

I have two  questions:

at first:

are you aware the fact  their guidelines telling you not to specify business names containing any city names at all (as you have done in your sample "Enterprise Rent-A-Car - Alcorcón"

and here we go asking the important one regarding the letter handlling:

What Userinterface of GMB did you use for the bulk of locations in Spain:

did you use 

https://business.google.com/manage/?hl=es (Spanish UI)

or 

https://business.google.com/manage/?hl=en (English UI)

If using the Spanish UI and still getting the "character"  issue I would like to get the bulk  feed  to investigate it

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the guideline link, Helmut! I'll take a look.

I'm using the ?hl=en version, which would definitely explain this. However, we have branches across Europe and these are managed via the one account - I've noticed that we have similar errors with German and French listings. It would be a bit of a pain to have each country in a separate account, do you know whether there is there a UI that can handle various special characters?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Next question then regarding "we have branches across Europe and these are managed via the one account"

You shouldn't manage several countries via one GMB account (aka"business account")

are you aware the option of several "Business accounts" (see here https://support.google.com/business/answer/6085326?hl=en)

Those business accounts can created & managed through your actual account and you should then have for each country at least one country specific "Business account"