My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Possible Downside to Losing Verification

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello!

I have a questions about the possible negative impacts of losing verification of a listing while trying to acquire it for an owner that has lost the access. In some cases, it is necessary to request access and then ask for the listing to be un-verified and claimed when access is not possible. In the example I'm describing, a large hotel has lost access. The listing is verified and is displaying Rich Snippets for various aspects in the knowledge panel. Some of these are connected to the site in Schema code and others are provided via third party. When a listing like this is unverified, do the schema code and other rich text inspired parts of the knowledge panel disappear? How long does it take for it to come back and what are (if any) the other possible drawbacks to this approach? Thank you all for your time and thank you in advance for any answers you could provide!

Tim Roberts

602 416 7784

tim.roberts@vdigitalservices.com

Monday - Friday 8:30AM - 5:00PM

Local SEO Technician| V Digital Services

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tim R
November 2016

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Tim,

The process of claiming, transferring according to the Link provided by @Helmut Geissler is a 7 day thing.  Fill out the form is no response after 7 days, contact support.  https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en

If a site loses verification ( it becomes an Unclaimed Business) unless it has violated quality or spam guidelines and is completely removed.  

Under most cases, an Unclaimed listing will retain the majority of the Knowledge Graph properties because those are granted based upon both Schema (structured Data- from a Google Claimed Search Console/ Webmaster Tools account) as well as 3rd party resources.

In your scenario, the Claimed Owner, could transfer the rights, remove the listing, ignore the request.  

If they transfer only ownership changes.  

If they remove the Listing from their account, The listing is reverted to a Unclaimed Status and will site in Google Maps to be claimed.  

There are rare cases in which a listing could be removed from their account and marked as closed, but if there are enough 3rd party references and a claimed Google Webmaster Tools associated account, that request may not be granted via Google Maps or change the Knowledge Graph listing

I honestly don't see really much negative results from an ownership transfer or Request, as long as you are diligent in the process and shouldn't take more then 14-21 days total to take effect. ( google maps will not edit in that time frame in most circumstances) as long as the 3rd party links remain and the schema data is intact and their is a webmaster tools / search console registration.. all should be fine.

it sounds to me more like either a Separate Marking Company created the account , lost the business, and you are concerned of Ill effect they may transpire as your Marketing company attempts to "run the business". Or their is dispute between partners/ owners which would be more of a Legal -Lawyer situation to resolve.

The main tip I would suggest, is that the True Owner with an  @  website.com  email or a Gmail account strictly for the business be used and maintained.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Tim R

I beleive your thinking goes in the wrong direction ("request access and then ask for the listing to be un-verified").

In case a business lost access to their listing and there is somethings wrong with the listing the owner simplemente should try to regain the ownership over it through "Someone else verified my business"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you very much for your response, but in some cases your provided solution is not a viable solution in terms of deliverables and time-frames. In many cases where the business owner has lost access, a response is never received, the previous contact is unknown in name or capacity and the business owner needs access to manage the content that directly affects their business in real time. I was more interested in hearing about the possible ill affects of what can happen to a listing once it's lost it's verification as the result of a request from the business owner in an effort to recover control. Again, I respectfully thank you for your answer.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tim R
November 2016

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Tim,

The process of claiming, transferring according to the Link provided by @Helmut Geissler is a 7 day thing.  Fill out the form is no response after 7 days, contact support.  https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en

If a site loses verification ( it becomes an Unclaimed Business) unless it has violated quality or spam guidelines and is completely removed.  

Under most cases, an Unclaimed listing will retain the majority of the Knowledge Graph properties because those are granted based upon both Schema (structured Data- from a Google Claimed Search Console/ Webmaster Tools account) as well as 3rd party resources.

In your scenario, the Claimed Owner, could transfer the rights, remove the listing, ignore the request.  

If they transfer only ownership changes.  

If they remove the Listing from their account, The listing is reverted to a Unclaimed Status and will site in Google Maps to be claimed.  

There are rare cases in which a listing could be removed from their account and marked as closed, but if there are enough 3rd party references and a claimed Google Webmaster Tools associated account, that request may not be granted via Google Maps or change the Knowledge Graph listing

I honestly don't see really much negative results from an ownership transfer or Request, as long as you are diligent in the process and shouldn't take more then 14-21 days total to take effect. ( google maps will not edit in that time frame in most circumstances) as long as the 3rd party links remain and the schema data is intact and their is a webmaster tools / search console registration.. all should be fine.

it sounds to me more like either a Separate Marking Company created the account , lost the business, and you are concerned of Ill effect they may transpire as your Marketing company attempts to "run the business". Or their is dispute between partners/ owners which would be more of a Legal -Lawyer situation to resolve.

The main tip I would suggest, is that the True Owner with an  @  website.com  email or a Gmail account strictly for the business be used and maintained.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This is exactly the information I was looking for sir! Thank you so much. As an aside, once a listing has been claimed for the purpose of managing, we always revert the ownership back to the rightful business owner. It's not our listing and we can do our work without being owners. Thank you both again for your attention and I know I can always count on this community to find the right answers to difficult scenarios. Cheers and have a great day!

Tim Roberts

602 416 7784

tim.roberts@vdigitalservices.com

Monday - Friday 8:30AM - 5:00PM

Local SEO Technician| V Digital Services