My Business
3K members online now
3K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple offices in the same town

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I manage 10 optometrist offices.  All use the exact same website, and I have set up 10 Google + pages.  Each Google+ page has the exact same name of the company, but the address and phone number of each office is different for each Google+ account.  Four of the offices are in the same town.  The problem I have is when patients search for us on Google in the town with multiple locations.  If Google does not display my website as an option in the organic listing, but rather displays a Google+ page option instead (probably because I have many Google Reviews on each Google+ location Google sometimes likes to show), patients will see the name of the company and will call the phone number provided, but they sometimes fail to look at the address. Therefore, we have some patients calling the wrong office.  Patients mistakenly think one number is for all offices.

1) Is it OK to help distinguish each office by renaming the Google+ pages to include a location in the name?  For instance, "My Company on Ramsey St"  and another Google+ page "My Company on Skibo Rd"?  I know Google wants the exact name of the company but it is sometimes confusing when not all locations are listed in the search.

2) If this is acceptable, will this effect the citation listings and I will then need to go to all search directories and change the company name to include the location notation.  I ask this second question because I went to YEXT and noticed I have many citation errors with my company from simple spelling errors to incorrect suffixes, like missing PA (professional association) that I need to fix.  If I change the name to include a location, I read it will affect my authority ranking with NAP (Name Address Phone).

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kent R
November 2015

Re: Multiple offices in the same town

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello Kent,
It is not acceptable to add geographic reference to the business name.
Please, see the Names section of the guidelines to represent a business on Google.
https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kent R
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello Kent,
It is not acceptable to add geographic reference to the business name.
Please, see the Names section of the guidelines to represent a business on Google.
https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your advice. The Google guideline link was very beneficial too.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kent,
Definitely feel your pain as I have several clients with multiple locations within cities. One thing I've noticed with the increased use of mobile search is that search result targeting is getting better. We're still aware of users contacting the wrong location, but are seeing less of this issue over time. In agreement with Kent on the geo references. We were using these at one time until Google updated the guidelines. We actually went back and removed the geo references for our locations and saw a bump in the what was then the Map Pack results.