My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Multi Location Business with different business names on GMB pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We just started working with a lawfirm that has multiple locations.  Everything seems to have been done correctly and they have one website and each location has a separate page on their website  (ex.  site.com/locations/city1  site.com/locations/city2 etc.)

Each of their Google My Business / Google+ profiles are listed in the format    xxxxx Law P.C. - City1   / xxxxx Law P.C. City2 and so forth.

These are obviously not the legal business names so I was thinking that all of the GMB profiles should match the exact legal name of the business.  I just wanted to check if that is the correct way to do it according to Google's policies.  I can see both sides of the coin.  From the users perspective, having the business name with the city name helps them identify the location, but at the same time, it's not the exact legal business name.

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multi Location Business with different business names on GMB pages

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

such names are not only not the legal names - 

such names are also violating Googles Guidelines for representing your business on Google

read chapter "Name" and over there the link "Learn more"

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Brad,

Since it sounds like you are maybe a newer local search consultant, I wanted to back up what Helmut said by saying that adding ANY additional words to the biz name is considered key word stuffing and like he said is a violation.

Plus don't need city as a differentiator because typically City A will be the only one that ranks when someone is searching from City A or for City A attorney.

Wanted to also mention an issue that sometimes comes up with Attorney listings. Often the additional locations are not kosher by GMB standards and if so are a violation. Often Attys set up extra offices they aren't really at full-time, mainly for marketing & ranking purposes to be visible in other cities. They set up at a Regus or some other shared office space.

To have a listing they need to have someone from their staff (not a generic Regus secretary) full-time during the hours they state on the listing. Even if they did (most don't) they could be taken down just for being in Regus because so many Regus listings are breaking the rules. (Baby/bathwater)

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Linda,

Thanks for the extra information. They are a large firm and they are all definitely legit locations that have multiple staff members.