My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Is this allowed within the rules?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So there is a company called Mac Repair UK. Mac Repair UK don't repair anything, what they did is register Mac Repair Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester etc as Google My Business pages. They then charge a local provider for directing enquiries to the local provider. 

So my question is, is this allowed within the rules of my business pages?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is this allowed within the rules?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
do you refer to the business having this website http://www.macrepairs.co.uk/
If so:
I could not find a local Google business page of them (which would infact violate Googles guidelines).
But maybe I didn't dig deep enough. Can you please provide a Link to their local business page?
Thanks

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think it was registered as a google places listing. Google Mac repair Birmingham and then the listing is called ‘Mac Repair Birmingham’ The website and telephone number are owned by macrepairuk 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
please help me to help you:

Googling for "Mac Repair Birmingham" I get one result and its called "Mac Repair - Birmingham"

Address: Wood view Drive, Birmingham B15 2JF
Phone:0845 470 0005
and its website is http://www.macrepairbirmingham.co.uk/ do you refer to this business?
If not specify the one in question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes that is the one, what I am saying is, that company is actually Bad Apple’s, a local supplier. The listing is owned and maintained by Macreapiruk. What they are doing is simply doing deals with local suppliers like Bad Apples and promoting them. If you click on the website link it takes you to macrepairbirmingham.co.ukagain owned by macrepairuk

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Will W:

there are indeed two claimed business entries:

"Bad Apples Apple Mac Repair"

and 

"Mac Repair - Birmingham"

And both have the same phone number 

+44 845 470 0005 (interestingly the second one shows different opening hours and of course the website of the spammer: http://www.macrepairbirmingham.co.uk/ )

I think and recommend the owner of "Bad Apples Apple Mac Repair" should contact business support to get the "Mac Repair - Birmingham" managed as a unwanted duplicate of their own business. And yes my opinion is:
"Mac Repair - Birmingham" violate Google guidelines for the simple reason: not having specified their own exact business address just copying the same UK Post code as the "Bad Apples Apple Mac Repair"

@Tim Capper : what do you think about this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
As the owner of Bad Apples doesn’t have a company called Mac Repair Birmingham, how would he take control of that page? If I was to setup a company called Mac Repair Birmingham and have an office in Birmingham, would I be able to take over the page? I currently have a company called MacAssist, performing Mac repairs in Birmingham, I spend a great deal of money with Ad Words everyday, but due to many peoples aversion to clicking on ads, I get very few enquiries. This coupled with the fact that the mybusiness page appears much larger than my text ad means most people click on that instead.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Will W wrote:
As the owner of Bad Apples doesn’t have a company called Mac Repair Birmingham, how would he take control of that page?

It  doesn't make any sense to get control over the spammy page.

Do as already recommended: contact business support to get it handles as what it is:

a spammy and fake listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, but the MyBusiness page generates a lot of traffic to whoever is associated with it as most people looking for mac repairs in Birmingham find that business listing.